PDA

View Full Version : Dead Trees

Ken Watkins
11-05-2011, 08:09 AM
A feature around the shores of Lake Kariba, is the tremendous amounts of drowned trees from the mid 50's filling of the lake.

EOS 1D Mk III

70-200mm MkII hand held from drifting boat at 98mm

F5.6, ISO 800, 1/13, EV -0.67

Valerio Tarone
11-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Hi Ken I like very much this! dead trees reflecting in the lake,simmetric, ripetitive shapes does good balance. The colors: red not too strong shades in violet with a sweet balance.
Curiosity: where is it, as I know S.A, ?

Ken Watkins
11-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Valerio,

This was taken on the Zimbabwe side of Lake Kariba, we were based on Rhino Island in the Matusadona National Park

Roger Clark
11-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Hi Ken,

The colors do give a kind of somber feeling if that is what you are after. But to me the colors seem kind of dull for a typical sunrise. In particular, usually the sky up high is brighter. I like the composition, reflections. and mountains. The only question is contrast and color saturation. Did you play with that, or is the somber mood what you were intending?

Roger

Chris Korman
11-05-2011, 02:22 PM
I like the quietness of the image, the ripples in the water are really nice and the silhouetted branches add to the mood. The image needs around a half degree counter clockwise rotation since the horizon is crooked.

Andrew McLachlan
11-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Very nice Ken. Ditto on the rotation and agree with Roger on the saturation.

Ken Watkins
11-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks everybody for your comments and suggestions.

This is actually a sunset and the sun has dipped well below the horizon.

Basically it is as taken just cropping and NR.

My favourite painter is J M W Turner, that is why a scene like this appeals to me

Robert Amoruso
11-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Ken,

I took a look at JMW Turner's paintings and he certainly did like scenics with infused color though still harboring a moody feeling. I think that you can accomplish that here.

I took a look at the image and the dynamic range was flat on the highlight end leading me to believe that you might have been underexposed. Here I would expose right - which washes out color - then in levels readjusted the shadows by opening up the shadow end. When you do that, color returns.

In the repost I opened up the highlight end using a levels correction. Since this made the image brighter, I darkened it using curves and the DARKEN preset and then adjusted that to my liking.

In levels again, I pulled up the shadow ends to clip the trees to make then darker/blacker invoking a more moody look.

Normally after sunset or before sunrise, dynamic range is well below modern sensor capability and exposing right and adjusting DR in levels is my preferred pre/post processing technique.

Image also needed a CCW rotation for the horizon.

Compositionally I like how you handled the left right side crop at the more distant trees. I would have preferred the same on the left side. This type of situation is always difficult to determine where to clip elements that intrude into the image. If the trees did not recede to the BG on the left just as you get out of frame, I think you did end the left side in a good place.

Rachel Hollander
11-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Ken - I too like the calmness of this image with the dead trees and just the slightest ripple in the water. Robert's repost really takes this to another level.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
11-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Robert,

Sorry I seem to have missed your repost earlier, it certainly does as Rachel has commented "take this to another level".

How did you figure all this out in the first place?

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Roger Clark
11-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Ken,

Robert's repost is excellent--just what I meant in my earlier post.

Roger

dankearl
11-07-2011, 07:11 PM
The repost is really good, but the mood of the OG is fine with me also.
Very nice.

Santanu Banik
11-08-2011, 05:36 AM
Nice bands on the water, would have loved more water in the composition. Liked the original post better as it shows a foggy mood.

Andrew Aveley
11-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Ken , eish but this rocks and as per your interpretation it is moody and like the fusion of reds............Robert has some great points:eek3: