PDA

View Full Version : Black Headed Gull bathing

Jonathan Ashton
11-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Canon 7D Canon 500mm f4 L IS tripod ISO 800 -0.3 1/640 sec f5.6
Whilst I was trying to get some ducks on pleasant autumnal water reflections I was watching the gulls bathing, then I remembered the sticky for November was gulls so here we go. I am not too sure if this is an optical illusion but maybe a little CCW rotation is required, I did use the bubble on the self levelling head and I thought it was pretty straight at the time.
All C & C welcome.

Randy Stout
11-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Jonathan:

Nice shooting angle, lots of action, sharp. Like the comp, inclusion of wave on left. With this type of action, and no obvious reference points, I would be hard pressed to say it needs rotation. I think the angle of the wave does create that sense, but I wouldn't feel obligated to rotate it.

Cheers

Randy

As an aside: if you sharpened the drops by his face, I might back off on that, just so the contrast isn't so high and attention drawing there. It pulls my eye right off the bird. Personal taste.

Stu Bowie
11-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Jonathan, with the gull leaning slightly back and to its left, it certainly gives the impression of a rotation needed. I feel looking at the water infront, it should stay as is. I like how we can see the ends of the wings protruding from the water, together with the flying droplets. The darker BG makes the gull pop nicely.

Satish Ranadive
11-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Great action captured.Loved the flash of water and pose of Gull.

Daniel Cadieux
11-04-2011, 06:37 PM
I too think it is likely an illusion. You have nothing to lose by trying a version with some rotation a see which you like best, but still OK as is IMO. Nice splashing action, sharp, and I love the wake in front of the gull. Thanks for thinking of the theme!!:S3:

Cheryl Arena Molennor
11-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Love the action and greens in the water. i'm feeling some of the whites a little bright at the neck area. .

Robert Holguin
11-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Great action shot. I really like the water drops, great eye contact, the green water really brings out the gull nicely. I also think the whites on the neck are tad bright.
Well done.

Jonathan Ashton
11-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Thank you for your comments everyone.