PDA

View Full Version : The Stare

Madhav Jois
11-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Due to heavy over night rain, the entire paddy field got flooded the next morning. I saw many of these frogs perched on leaves. While "Kites" were gorging themselves on this rare feast, I decided to make an image of this innocent stare.

Exif: Nikon D90, Sigma 105 EX DG Macro, f8, 1/800 shutters, ISO 640, +0.3 EV, Handheld as tripod was not feasible. I could have ran NR, but left it as it is (kinda like little noise these days).
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6196/6113341040_01be4b2b97_b.jpg

C&C most welcome.

cheers,
Madhav

Julie Kenward
11-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Madhav, this is really quite cute! My only suggestion would be to have a bit more focus on the nose/mouth area. You nailed the eyes and that beautiful stare but IMO it misses the mark by a little bit by not having some more depth to the front of the face.

Steve Maxson
11-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Hi Madhav. I like the light, comp, and background and you nailed the focus on those eyes! I also like the low shooting angle where you're almost looking up at the frog. I would agree with Jules about the DOF - more sharpness in the nose and throat area would take this cool image up a couple notches. Looking at your shooting specs, you might have shot this at f/11 to get more DOF and 1/400 ss would likely have been fast enough for handholding - just something to try next time you're in the field. :S3:

Ken Childs
11-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Madhav, the DOF issue has already been covered by Jules and Steve so I'll add that if this were mine, I'd probably crop a little from the top and maybe some from the right....enough to get those cool eyes away from the vertical center and closer to a ROT position.

bhavya joshi
11-06-2011, 12:52 PM
hi.. Madhav, this is really good macro just need more focus on month as per other says.. but i really like BG and colors of frog. nice compose.:S3: