PDA

View Full Version : Cotton Gear

Ken Watkins
11-03-2011, 02:49 AM
Does anybody have any views on this system,

http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/cotton-carrier-camera-system-for-all-camera-types.html

I wonder if it could be used in an open game viewing vehicle for supporting a MkIV + 500mm F4?

Ken Watkins
11-03-2011, 04:36 AM
Sorry I forgot to put in this further link to the "Steady Shot"

http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/cotton-carrier-steady-shot-p/777ssb.htm

Chuck Nakell
11-03-2011, 09:03 AM
I bought the basic carrier set-up to handle my Canon 300mm 2.8 IS, extender, and 1D Mark IV. I have generally good feelings about the purchase, although the reality of it is not perfect.

I do enjoy having both hands free as I hike with my camera at-the-ready. It does offer quick hand to camera action and does securely hold my equipment. The harness is moderately comfortable, but not terrific (versus a normal camera pack). There are two distinct downsides: 1) The strap that secures the center of your lens to you disengages with a velcro tear sound that often frightens away birds, so I had to have a special enclosure made for me to not have to rely on that part of my carrier. 2) I used to have one kind of back and neck strain (I'm very fit, but 60 years old) from a day of hiking and shooting with my camera in a standard pack. Now i have a different kind of neck strain from the front loaded position. It's a lot better than the former, but still pushes the ole muscles after 6 hours. Would I buy it again? Yes I would...but with the awareness of its' limitations.

It could be used in an open gaming vehicle.

Best, Chuck

Ken Watkins
11-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Chuck,

Thanks very much for the info, I am not really intending to use it for carrying much whilst walking ( as I do not walk too well) , although I will definitely need it for my trip to Madagascar next year.

Have you tried the Steady Shot, as I feel this would be great for extra support but still allowing quick movement, in an open vehicle.

After hand holding a MkIV plus 500mm all day, I need some support:S3:

I fully understand that nothing is perfect, and in a cramped vehicle, a tripod is impossible and a monopod nearly as bad, I just find they both restrict quick movement too much.

Cheers

Ken

Alan Eicoff
11-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Ken

I have both the vest with chest mount and holster as well as the light version and holster. I find them both to be very versatile and comfortable. I purchased mine before they had the velcro strap to hold the camera against your chest so when necessary I just use a bungee cord around my body and over the lens. I find the entire system of great value as I often have my cameras with me while bike riding. My only caveat is that the holster mounted camera when climbing or riding can be accidentally pushed into the horizontal position and get dislodged from the slot. A work around for this is to keep the disk so that you slide the camera in vertically so that if it gets pushed horizontally it won't come out. It is unlikely to get dislodged in the vertical position. The other absolute must is to use the safety straps. They are long enough that they do not interfere with your shooting. The safety straps came out after I bought my vest version and I lost a 5D MK II with 24-70 lens in the ocean after it got hung up on a life jacket and I was stepping out of a panga during a shore landing in the Galapagos. Fortunately I had a 5D and 100-400 with me as well in the chest slot. Two weeks after returning home I received an email from Cotton about the straps. This can only lead me to believe that others had similar issues. The strap would have saved my camera and lens. I have used the system with the 300 2.8 and 2x TC without issue (disk on lens mount of course). It was nice to occasionally get the weight out of my hands. I have some lower back issues as well and am 67 but have not had any consequences from the system. I recently purchased the steady shot but have not had a chance to try it yet.

Alan

Ken Watkins
11-08-2011, 04:15 AM
Alan,

Thanks very much for the additional info, I think I will give it a try, I have tried everything else.