PDA

View Full Version : Inca Tern (PERU)

Alfredo Fernández
11-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Shot this a month ago..
these guys where awesome, you could get as close as you want!

Nikon D300s / Nikkor 28-70mm F2.8 @45mm F4 / ISO400 / 1/250 / Handheld - Manual Exposure
Full Frame. Standart PP in Lightroom 3
hope you like it,
Alfredo Fernández G.

Randy Stout
11-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Alfredo:

What a color full bill and gape, pretty flashy for a tern!

Good look back pose.

A lower shooting angle would be more flattering, but probably not possible here.

A touch of fill flash would have opened up the face some.

Cheers

Randy

Bill Dix
11-03-2011, 08:13 AM
What a beautiful tern. Thanks for sharing this one. A bit more head-turn might have put a little more light on the side of the head, but sometimes they just don't listen.

Daniel Cadieux
11-03-2011, 09:36 AM
What a great bird! If not for the ID I would have thought this was something more from the guillemot or auk families!! Sriking pattern and I like the calling pose you got. I too wish for a lower angle, but like Randy I realize that wwas likely not possible unless risking a nasty dip into the ocean :-) You could work the current faint reflection at the top part of the eye with the dodge tool to make it more visible and give more life to the subject.

Dan Behm
11-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Alfredo,
A beautiful species, I never would have thought Tern either, Great exposure given the angle and conditions. Fill flash would have really helped here and a lower shooting angle, but as others said likely impossible. The open beak calling pose, head angle and backside view and crop are all terrific. very well done!

Dan