Author Cheryl Molennor
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/800
Av( Aperture Value ) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +2.0x

Anny comments and suggestions greatly appreciated. I am here to learn from all of you. Thanks

Joe Senzatimore
11-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Water color and water drops are sweet. Would like to see the duck less centered in the frame.

Jonathan Ashton
11-02-2011, 12:27 PM
I like the colours in the water and the water dripping from the bill. If it were mine I would make the duck a little smaller in the frame and place it more to the right. The light is very bright, I would be tempted to tone it down a bit if that is possible. Was this a crop, I sense there could perhaps be a little more detail - but perhaps that is related to the strong light??

Robert Holguin
11-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Great shot. Real nice timing, I really like the water dripping from its bill and the ripples in the water. Great water color, nice eye contact, and I personally like the comp. The whites on the chest might be just a tad bright, but that might just be be.
Well done.

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Cheryl, liked the water drip and the colors in the water. I think the main problem is the light angle/ duck angle combo. With light from your left and the duck angled this way, it is getting lit from its front....creating some shadows.

When you are working with off-angle light, the angle of the bird wr.t camera becomes even more important......than when the light is perfectly from behind you.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
11-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Cheryl, liked the water drip and the colors in the water. I think the main problem is the light angle/ duck angle combo. With light from your left and the duck angled this way, it is getting lit from its front....creating some shadows.

When you are working with off-angle light, the angle of the bird wr.t camera becomes even more important......than when the light is perfectly from behind you.

Thank you for that info. I see with very little comments it was not a pleasing shot so I appreciate you telling me why in a good way :S3:

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Cheryl, look at this latest shot by Grace...it illustrates what I was saying. the light is from right...since the bird is angled this way, the light is hitting the bird's body nicely, you cant avoid shadows but the way they fall on the body matters.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/91189

Your shot wud have been much better...either with light from your right...OR the bird angled such that it was facing towards you but to your right.

for example: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/79237-American-wigeon-hen

I usually find a nice low spot with sun on my back to photograph ducks. But the ducks move and the sun also moves. If I cannot move(dont like to give up a low spot :-), I do end up with off-angle light. When that happens, you start paying attention to the orientation of the duck. Ducks always change angles so its just a matter of paying attention and clicking when it all comes together.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
11-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Cheryl, look at this latest shot by Grace...it illustrates what I was saying. the light is from right...since the bird is angled this way, the light is hitting the bird's body nicely, you cant avoid shadows but the way they fall on the body matters.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/91189

Your shot wud have been much better...either with light from your right...OR the bird angled such that it was facing towards you but to your right.

for example: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/79237-American-wigeon-hen

I usually find a nice low spot with sun on my back to photograph ducks. But the ducks move and the sun also moves. If I cannot move(dont like to give up a low spot :-), I do end up with off-angle light. When that happens, you start paying attention to the orientation of the duck. Ducks always change angles so its just a matter of paying attention and clicking when it all comes together.

I can totally see that and it makes great sense. I'm trying to train my eye to notice things like this.I usually get so excited to see the subject that all my senses go out the window. I do wish for lower angles as well as the right side angle at this pond but it is pretty impossible. By the way I LOVE that shot of your widgeon.. I have more from this day with the proper angle. I'll see If I can find a good one. Thanks so much for taking time to teach, I do appreciate it.