PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Maple Swirl

Julie Kenward
11-01-2011, 08:19 AM
The maple trees have FINALLY popped with color this past weekend. I took a mass shot of leaves, ran it through both the Swerve and Twist settings of Flaming Pear's software and then added some burning and dodging to tweak the white area in the top ROT's position to give the eye a place to land. Added my Topaz Infocus preset for these type of images and adjusted the settings in CS5. Added a small white border (which I see was a moot point against the light gray BG!) Oh well...

denise ippolito
11-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Jules, I like the color tones and the swirls, very pretty. Would love to see the original.

Julie Kenward
11-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Denise, glad you asked...it made me go back and take another look and that's when I realized I had ended up using the reflection image of the tree in the water rather than the one of just the mass of leaves! Here's the original...

denise ippolito
11-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Jules, The original is spectacular!!!!:S3:

Julie Kenward
11-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks Denise...I intend to process the other one in its simpler form as well.

Cheryl Slechta
11-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Jules, I like them both but the original is a Killer:S3:

Andrew McLachlan
11-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Hi Julie, love both images. the original is awesome. The colors were nowhere near that nice up here this year. Beautiful work!:S3:

Dennis Bishop
11-01-2011, 07:57 PM
I like the original post, but I'm glad you showed us the original, too. That makes two good images from the same shot.

When you mentioned the white border, I copied the original and looked at it in Photoshop with a darker gray background. That really made a difference. The white border makes that white area you were talking about more effective.

Julie Kenward
11-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Dennis, I agree - I felt it really pulled attention to the white in the image by adding the border but it does lose a bit of its efficiency here. Thanks for looking, though!

Mark Fuge
11-02-2011, 08:41 AM
Nice image and applications, Jules.

Like the face in the first one. Cute! :w3

John Storjohann
11-04-2011, 06:12 AM
Julie, I'm late to the party this time...busy week!...but I like both of these images. I have a shot almost identical...so close it's eerie!...of the original image, only with yellow/gold colors....you've inspired me to possibly play with it a bit. The "processed" version is also really nice..I love the one lighter anchor point in the middle third of the RHS; it adds to the composition and the strength of the image, giving your eye something to "rest" on amid the flow of intense reds. Well done!