PDA

View Full Version : Chestnut-bellied Mountain Tanager (Peru)

Glenn Bartley
11-01-2011, 06:15 AM
I spent the last week in a pretty remote area of the central Andes of Peru. My main target was a kind of "grail bird" the Golden-backed Mountain Tanager. Sadly...I missed that one :(

I did get some nice images of his cousin the Chestnut-bellied Mountain Tanager that I hope you will enjoy.

In a few hours I'm off to the North of Peru for 2 weeks and then back home to Canada :D

All the best!

Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D
Shutter speed: 1/320 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Flash: On
ISO: 640
Focal length: 500mm + 1.4x
LAPTOP PROCESSED

Richard Unsworth
11-01-2011, 06:32 AM
:S3:

Nice pose and details, hard color combo and you exposed perfectly.
Typical Tanager pose and I bet pretty skitish?
Great BKGD. Lovely eye! Cool bird, first time to see this species.

Ben_Sadd
11-01-2011, 07:21 AM
A lovely bird in a great pose. Nice perch and background. Overall great!

I would consider opening up the mid-tones a bit to increase the overall brightness (one caveat is that I am viewing on an uncalibrated screen, although other images in the forum look ok)

There appears to be some on both ends of the spectrum (checked in PS), but this could well be an sRGB conversion issue.

Nancy Bell
11-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Glenn, Great classic tanager image with lovely color and fine details. Good you found such a perfect lichen-covered perch without distracting branches. I just returned from 2 weeks in northern Peru chasing endemics. We were with Nick Athanas who said he knew you. Looking forward to more Peruvian birds. I'll post a few myself.

Geir Jensen
11-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Lovely images off a Beautifull bird :S3:

Ben_Sadd
11-01-2011, 02:38 PM
A lovely bird in a great pose. Nice perch and background. Overall great!

I would consider opening up the mid-tones a bit to increase the overall brightness (one caveat is that I am viewing on an uncalibrated screen, although other images in the forum look ok)

There appears to be some on both ends of the spectrum (checked in PS), but this could well be an sRGB conversion issue.

I just took a look on my calibrated home computer and the brightness actually looks good...

Matthew Studebaker
11-03-2011, 11:56 AM
wonderful image of a beautiful species Glenn. Nice perch with the lichen on it.