PDA

View Full Version : Northern Lights, Hudson Bay

Charles Glatzer
10-31-2011, 07:02 PM
Norther Lights with yurt, Hudson Bay coast

We have had Lights every clear evening. WOW!!!!! What a Treat.

1Ds MIII, 16-35MM, focus taped on infinity
Manual, 30 SEC @ f/2.8, ISO 800, Yurt side-lit with flashlight.
Post-production- 15in MBP, LR3, CS5

See you where there is light, or at the computer

Chas in the Arctic

Chris Korman
10-31-2011, 08:21 PM
Interesting "belt" of northern lights that has been well composed in the frame. I am on the fence about the structure in the lower middle. One other thing it seems like structure needs a bit of CW rotation. I think if there was a campfire in the lower left that would really balance the structure.

Jerry van Dijk
11-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Extremely nice image, Charles, and great work on lighting that yurt! I agree with Chris that the composition would have been even stronger with an FG element more to the left. A few steps to the right would have put the yurt in the LLC ROT hotspot and separated the second beam of the Northern light from the yurt. But all in all extremely well done!

Charles Glatzer
11-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks guys,

Some nights the lights dance quickly across the sky, others they appear to hover in a fixed position for a short while. The yurt is of course in a fixed location and the lights moved quickly this evening making exact comp difficult. Campfire, igloo, etc of course would be a welcomed addition, but it was not possible.

Best,

Chas in the Arctic

Andrew McLachlan
11-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Hi Chas, incredible sky and color. While it would have been nice to have the Yurt more to the left I don't mind it centered. The main swath of light cutting diagonally through the comp and then curling is quite lovely!

Morkel Erasmus
11-03-2011, 03:52 AM
I love the curve of the Aurora here Chas, with enough stars visible to enhance the sky even further. Good use of the "yurt" (I presume it's the accomodation you stay in for your trip?) to anchor the image below. If anything I would have preferred some more light painting at the bottom where the yurt meets the ground...:e3

Ken Watkins
11-03-2011, 04:16 AM
Chas,

You are "truly blessed"

I love this and you get Polar Bears as well, what joy!

Grace Scalzo
11-03-2011, 08:51 PM
I just don't even know what to say...this looks like a trip of a lifetime, Chas and your images are wildly beautiful.

Rachel Hollander
11-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Chas - This is fabulous. The long exposure worked really well to bring out the stars and the curve of the aurora takes this over the top. The only nit and it is a very small one, there are 2 lights to the right of the yurt near the horizon (maybe from other yurts), if it is not against your ethics, I would clone them out.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
11-05-2011, 07:38 AM
I would say this is one of the better/best NL images I have seen Chas. The sweeping arc is perfect that the fact you framed it so well with the building even better. Nicely done.

Gerald_Gilligan
11-17-2011, 12:30 AM
The long sweeping curve of the northern lights is the strength of this image...great capture !