PDA

View Full Version : Chips

Mitch Carucci
10-31-2011, 01:01 PM
This photo started out as an attempt to recover a badly damaged negative that is 25-30 years old.
Topaz simplify & remask.

Mitch Carucci
10-31-2011, 01:04 PM
Just thought I would post the original scan, as well as a simplified version of the original image.

One of these days I will try fluid bed scanning. Does anyone have experience with that?

Thanks.

Dennis Bishop
10-31-2011, 03:00 PM
I'm glad you posted the original because it shows you had some real salvage work. I immediately liked the sunset in the first image, but I wished the sails were just a tad brighter. Then, I saw the third one ... It's a perfect illustration of why I like Simplify so much. Wow. The only things I might wish would be that the tree line didn't coincide with the bottom of the sail and there were a bit more room on the left (which you handled on the first one), but that's being pretty nit-picky.

Nice work with getting the rigging so well when you Remasked for the first image.

Cheryl Slechta
10-31-2011, 07:00 PM
Mitch, I really like the third post - it reminds me of a Winslow Homer painting. Nice work:S3:

Mitch Carucci
11-01-2011, 04:42 AM
Thanks Dennis. I think you are right about the brightness. When I made a print, I brightened it a bit. The rigging was a bear, and I did pencil back in some of the rigging that was too light (not enough contrast with the background) to remask out.

This is from a 25-30 year old color negative. It really had deteriorated over the years!

John Storjohann
11-01-2011, 05:22 AM
Mitch, like Cheryl, I like the last version of the image you posted...great job of saving the image, and it does remind me of a Homer Winslow painting...nicely done!

Jay Sheinfield
11-01-2011, 06:00 AM
Mitch, here is another vote for the third post. Great mood and feel to it. Love the sky. Nice salvage work.

Julie Kenward
11-01-2011, 08:14 AM
You really did a wonderful job on this, Mitch! My goodness but you took an ordinary print and made it something special with mood and depth.

denise ippolito
11-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Mitch, Nice job with the save. I like the last image but like Dennis wish the boat and shoreline didn't merge. I am sure that is why you created the OP. I do like all but the left hand side of the OP. I also think that I would add some light to the sails to reflect the sunlight that would be there. A very nice job w/ post processing. I need to start thinking about doing composites more- you have inspired me.:S3:

Mitch Carucci
11-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the comments Cheryl, John, Jay, Julie and Denise!

Mitch

Andrew McLachlan
11-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi Mitch, very nice processing on this one. I too like the third post.