PDA

View Full Version : Golden Kiss

Mark Itol
10-31-2011, 01:59 AM
While on our way home from Bisita Iglesia during the Holy Week, we saw the sun unrealistically large on the horizon. We stopped for a while and took some photos. In a minute or so, the sun was already invisible.

Golden Kiss. The setting sun gives a golden kiss to coconut trees in a town in Laguna before finally disappearing into the horizon. The bluish specks at the bottom are lights coming from houses. Santa Cruz, Laguna, Philippines
http://markitol.smugmug.com/Nature/Sunrise-and-Sunset/i-3QwnmdP/0/XL/IMG4840s-XL.jpg
40D, 400 f/5.6 L, ISO 400, f/8, 1/640 sec, single manual exposure, handheld, cropped

Jay Gould
10-31-2011, 02:42 AM
I like it; I would remove the lights from the houses as they detract from the silhouette. Alternatively, I think you should crop half of the foreground as it is just negative space.

Chris Korman
10-31-2011, 02:56 AM
Mark, I agree the "large" sun made for a nice photo. I noticed that a curves adjusment of the mid tones brings out some latent colors in the sky, I'd consider going back and selectivley bringing up the tones/colors of the sky. Also, RE the lights in the bottom half of the image, I agree, clone them out.

Andrew McLachlan
11-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Hi Mark, nice big sun here and i love the silhouetted palm trees. Agree with Jay's suggestions. I think I would be tempted to crop just above the lights from the houses.

Robert Amoruso
11-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Mark, I agree with the above.

Some crop from the bottom, a some curves adjustment to bring out color in sky. Nicely seen scene.

Mark Itol
11-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Got to check this thread just now.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I can see how a curves adjustment will bring out the colors in the sky. Will try them out when I find time to reprocess the photo.