PDA

View Full Version : early snow in Connecticut

Gary Hamilton
10-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Snow starts to collect on the foliage from a big storm today in New England. We are expecting 10 inches in parts of Connecticut. Heavier snow image to follow tomorrow.

Canon 1D mk iii
Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS
ISO 500
1/30th
f/6.3
HH

Robert Amoruso
10-30-2011, 07:43 AM
I am guessing you got more snow today and possibly no electricity. :Whoa!:

I like the light covering of snow and the slice if rain drops in the BG. Color is pleasing and not over-saturated as I see with many autumn images. I realize you went went with the f/6.3 for get adequate DOF for the leaves, but I would have suggest f/2.8 image as well to better blur the BG and make the leaves jump out even more.

Thanks for posting and AOK to repost over in Flora Gary.

Andrew Aveley
10-30-2011, 02:15 PM
great colours and DOF :)simple but effective :)

Andrew McLachlan
10-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi Gary, agree with Robert's suggestions. Please keep the snow down your way if you don't mind...I'm kinda enjoying the warmer than usual weather we are having at the moment...although it was -2C this morning.:S3:

Gary Hamilton
10-31-2011, 04:08 PM
Whew--we just got power back about an hour ago after two days without it. Much better response time than after Hurricane Irene--one week without power that time--but a bit chilly last night sleeping when the temp dipped down to 22 F.

I went for a little more DOF here because the leaves in front were on different planes but I guess I could have gone shallower to blur the BKGD a bit more. It was hard to get the right shutter speed to freeze (pun intended) some snowflakes and to blur others because the rate of snowfall kept changing. I'll repost in macro and flora for comments by those folks. I'll also post an image from the heavier phase of the snowfall after I tweak it some more.

Sorry, Andrew M., but I suspect you are going to start getting your fair share of snow before long :t3

Thanks for the comments.