PDA

View Full Version : Sandpiper #5 : Sanderling at sunset

Bill Dix
10-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Cape May Point earlier this month. Cropped and cloned out some distracting spots in the BG. Might have wished for his feet. This is the final installment in the Peep show - Sandpiper sp. taken from 9/25 to 10/11. I just wish I could have added a Baird's, Pectoral, and Stilt. Maybe next year.

D7000 | 500f4 + 1.4 | ISO 1600 | 1/640s @ f/7.1 | 0EV

Jonathan Ashton
10-29-2011, 10:56 AM
I really like the low angle and the light is gorgeous. Yes the feet would have been nice but this is one fine image, maybe the answer is to shoot from just a little higher.

Arthur Morris
10-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Bill, You photography and image optimization skills have improved a ton since you started hanging out here. Other than a few less pebbles by the feet and a bit better view of those same feet this is superb. A nice fresh juvie.

If you keep hanging out at sand beaches you will likely continue to miss Baird's, pectoral, and stilt as they hang out mostly in grassy areas, in shallow water, and on mud flats, often around fresh water.

Melissa Groo
10-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Lovely image, wonderful pink light, head angle and low position, Bill. Great job!

Bill Dix
10-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Bill, You photography and image optimization skills have improved a ton since you started hanging out here. Other than a few less pebbles by the feet and a bit better view of those same feet this is superb. A nice fresh juvie.

If you keep hanging out at sand beaches you will likely continue to miss Baird's, pectoral, and stilt as they hang out mostly in grassy areas, in shallow water, and on mud flats, often around fresh water.

Thanks Artie. I'm grateful for all of the help I've gotten from you and others in the several years since I joined BPN. Pectoral and stilt have been reported at both Brigantine and Cape May recently, in the habitats you describe. But Brig is a tough place to get close to the birds, and the Pectoral showed up in the Cape May Meadows since my last visit. I'll keep trying.

denise ippolito
10-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Bill, I like the soft light and the nice details. Composition is sweet, agree about the shells by the feet.

Arthur Morris
10-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks Artie. I'm grateful for all of the help I've gotten from you and others in the several years since I joined BPN. Pectoral and stilt have been reported at both Brigantine and Cape May recently, in the habitats you describe. But Brig is a tough place to get close to the birds, and the Pectoral showed up in the Cape May Meadows since my last visit. I'll keep trying.

Brig is virtually impossible for shorebird photography and at SCCM the water levels need to be perfect and the birds in the right spot....

arash_hazeghi
10-29-2011, 02:02 PM
great low angle and nice details...

Gary Esman
10-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Bill this is great for all the reasons mentioned above. Congrats!

Gary.

Alan Murphy
10-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Nice low angle image with sweet light.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Really nice Bill. great low angle detail and light. I just wish I could see the feet but I still like it as is.

Stu Bowie
10-30-2011, 08:53 AM
Bill, the light looks sweet, and you have captured a nice low perspective here. Love the grey's and blues of the BG.

Bill Dix
10-30-2011, 09:08 AM
Thank you all for your kind and helpful comments.

Dan Behm
10-31-2011, 10:28 PM
Bill,
Whats not to like about this image, Its beautiful...... I really like the light here, Soft and complimentary, The low angle really makes the bird pop from the habitat and gives it great presence. How about that perfect head angle as well, great Job with this one!!!

Dan