View Full Version : Wood Duck Wonderland

Melissa Groo
10-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Gitzo Tripod/Wimberley

1/800
ISO 400
500mm

Took this last weekend at the Chagrin ponds, Ohio during the fantastic wood duck workshop with Matthew Studebaker.
I liked this one due to the alert pose, the open bill, and the view of the purples on the face. Am wondering what people think of the crop. I know the reflection is not a strong one, but it felt too cramped when I cropped some bottom away. Is it ok as is?
Full frame. Sharpening, NR, linear burn of whites. Darkened chest a little bit.
I hope you like it. C & C very much appreciated.

Randy Stout
10-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Melissa;

Nice display of his full color palette, particularly like the greens on tail showing under primaries.

On my screen, I would consider going a 1/4 darker and possibly a very light vignette on the corners to frame him.

The crop is OK with me. I might try a version cropped up from below a bit and the canvas extended just a bit on the left. I am quite fond of panos for ducks and loons, so take that into account.

A slight head turn our way would make him a bit more engaging.

Cheers

Randy

Jim Buescher
10-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Wonderful image. The lighter, pastel golds and yellows of the BG makes this drake stand out really nice. Maybe crop a little off the bottom and add the same amount to the top but it's still OK as is. Nice low angle, were you hand holding this one laying down with the lens on the rock ledge?

Arthur Morris
10-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Love the soft colors and light. And the low angle and the slightly open bill. Agree with Marina that it should be a bit darker overall. I like the reflection and would actually love a bit more on the bottom if you have it, enough for the whole head REFL with a small border.

Bill Dix
10-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Fantastic colors and a wonderful full-frame shot, Melissa. Good comments above. I like it as posted, but my first reaction was the same as Randy's: take some off the bottom and add to the left to make a pano, and maybe add a bit on top. The white area on the bill is at 255 and could use a little more burning. But all that said, I'm really jealous and think this is a great shot.

Arthur Morris
10-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Fantastic colors and a wonderful full-frame shot, Melissa. Good comments above. I like it as posted, but my first reaction was the same as Randy's: take some off the bottom and add to the left to make a pano, and maybe add a bit on top. The white area on the bill is at 255 and could use a little more burning. But all that said, I'm really jealous and think this is a great shot.

Bill, Just for the record books, burning WHITEs that are 255 does not help anything as there is no detail there. You need to start a lot earlier than that either in capture or conversion....

Dan Behm
10-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Melissa,
Very nice, all of the Drakes colors are represented nicely. I like the Happy alert pose with the raised crest and eye contact. The low angle and F/5 really brings your eye to the Drake. I too might consider darkening this slightly, also including entire the entire reflection and a tad more in front of the drake, Excellent as presented, and if you changed nothing about this image, Its still one I would be proud to print as is.. so much becomes subjective from one viewer to the next. I often process my very own images, look back later and wonder why I didn't do this or that. Enjoyed viewing.

Dan

Bill Dix
10-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Bill, Just for the record books, burning WHITEs that are 255 does not help anything as there is no detail there. You need to start a lot earlier than that either in capture or conversion....

Point well taken. How about a subtle cloning at low opacity from some other spot on the bird, to tone down the brightness of the spot in question?

Arthur Morris
10-29-2011, 11:37 AM
You can do that with a 20 or 30% Clone Stamp Tool brush but much better to get it right well before that as noted above.

Melissa Groo
10-29-2011, 11:42 AM
You can do that with a 20 or 30% Clone Stamp Tool brush but much better to get it right well before that as noted above.

Thanks to all for your fine suggestions and comments. I will try a rework sometime today when time, taking these into account. And yes, much better to get it right in camera...still have much to learn.

Melissa Groo
10-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Love the soft colors and light. And the low angle and the slightly open bill. Agree with Marina that it should be a bit darker overall. I like the reflection and would actually love a bit more on the bottom if you have it, enough for the whole head REFL with a small border.

Here is a repost incorporating several suggestions: more room on bottom, a little less on top, more room in front, exposure brought down a touch, slight vignetting, and cloning on the bill (which brings it down to about 235 or so). WIsh I could add that plain border of water on the bottom, Artie, but not quite proficient enough.
I will also post a pano as Randy suggested, to see if people think that looks better.

Melissa Groo
10-29-2011, 12:33 PM
and a pano...

Melissa Groo
10-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Melissa,
Very nice, all of the Drakes colors are represented nicely. I like the Happy alert pose with the raised crest and eye contact. The low angle and F/5 really brings your eye to the Drake. I too might consider darkening this slightly, also including entire the entire reflection and a tad more in front of the drake, Excellent as presented, and if you changed nothing about this image, Its still one I would be proud to print as is.. so much becomes subjective from one viewer to the next. I often process my very own images, look back later and wonder why I didn't do this or that. Enjoyed viewing.

Dan

Thank you Dan. I love how your comments are always so thoughtful and detailed, by the way.

Arthur Morris
10-29-2011, 12:38 PM
I like both reposts but still wish for the whole REFL plus a bit more. Here is the big lesson: when there is a chance that you will wish to include the whole REFL put the bird in the middle from top to bottom by choosing and using the appropriate AF sensor. Not to worry: I fail to do just that very often....

Melissa Groo
10-29-2011, 12:41 PM
I like both reposts but still wish for the whole REFL plus a bit more. Here is the big lesson: when there is a chance that you will wish to include the whole REFL put the bird in the middle from top to bottom by choosing and using the appropriate AF sensor. Not to worry: I fail to do just that very often....

Thanks for that lesson, Artie. Sorry if a stupid question: so should the active sensor have been the uppermost left? Still learning my way around my new 1DmkIV...(and yes, I need to buy your guide!)

arash_hazeghi
10-29-2011, 02:01 PM
love the low angle and colors a bit bright on my screen. very nice!

Gary Esman
10-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Excellent image Melissa! Great low angle, light, sharpness and that purple patch...very cool. I am wondering if it needs to be a little warmer? Might add a little punch. All in all very very nice. Gary.

Alan Murphy
10-29-2011, 04:13 PM
A beautiful Wood Duck image Melissa.

Don Lacy
10-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Wonderful detail I would go with the pano crop but give it a bit more room on the top then what you did in pane 12

Melissa Groo
10-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Excellent image Melissa! Great low angle, light, sharpness and that purple patch...very cool. I am wondering if it needs to be a little warmer? Might add a little punch. All in all very very nice. Gary.
Thanks Gary! Will try a little warmer. By the way, used your sharpening tip, thanks!

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Beautiful Melissa and both reposts work for me. My only wish would be to have had all of the reflection . Love the colors of the water.

Ofer Levy
10-29-2011, 11:56 PM
The horizontal repost looks lovely. Not crazy about the pano.

Stu Bowie
10-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Melissa, I would take your repost in pane # 11 and take a touch off the top and bottom. You have brought out the colors nicely, but agree the whole image is a tad too bright. Interesting colour to the water. :w3