PDA

View Full Version : Wanaka Lake, South Island, New Zealand

Jay Gould
10-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Our purpose in going to the Lake was to compose images around the lone tree in the Lake. Unfortunately, the tree was pretty bare - I am sure some of its leaves are in the foreground piles :w3

I looked at the image with and without the tall trees on the LHS and it seemed to bare without them - what do you think?

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 3 May 11; 6:06AM
Light condition: sunrise
Lens: 16-35 f/2.8
Focal length:35mm
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp:
ISO: 100
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 4 sec
Aperture: f/18
Exp Comp: none
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One-shot AF
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR GNDs and RGNDs
Crop: approx 1/3
Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR3 and CS5, Nik viveza and Pixel Genius Software.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Don Railton
10-29-2011, 03:55 AM
Hi Jay

You cetainly love the colour, but I find the blue just a little too dominant in this image. I also think the subject tree in the lake is a little overshadowed by the land based tree and also a little too small in the frame given your brief/intention. I would have stepped forward a few paces to put the land based tree out of frame and the focus more on the lake tree. The clouds also have a blue tinge, I would prefer more usual black & grey/white with enhanced contrast.

DON

Jay Gould
10-29-2011, 04:05 AM
Hi Don, I think your comments are well taken. I am going to consider going to a pano and eliminating most of the foreground cropping up to the waterline on the RHS. RP to be done!

Don Railton
10-29-2011, 04:26 AM
Look forward to it...

DON

Robert Amoruso
10-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Jay,

I concur with Don's assessment on all accounts. The blur color cast is too dominate and appears unnatural. I tried a crop w/o the left trees and less FG and liked it.

Andrew Aveley
10-30-2011, 02:13 PM
a great scene with some great advice :)

Morkel Erasmus
10-30-2011, 04:05 PM
nice depth here Jay
here is a repost where I toned down the magenta, cyan and blue...I didn't want to remove it entirely, but just tone it down as it was looking a bit unnatural :w3
I also added a hint of LCE...

WDYT?

Jay Gould
10-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Hi Morkel. I am working along those lines too on the RP and also adding a bit of green to the mountains to get closer to brown (blue and green in the right combination = brown). The foreground is a bit too sharpened for me. I similarly did a sharpening of the whole image and then masked out the foreground to the pre-sharpened level. Of course there was already one round of sharpening on the foreground from the capture sharpening.

Andrew McLachlan
10-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Hi Jay, a little late to the party, but I agree with the above comments. I look forward to your repost. I would crop the trees on the left out if it were mine. The tree in the water is a great subject with lots if possibilities and I love the duck on the right.