PDA

View Full Version : Polar greeting card

Charles Glatzer
10-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Polar Bear, Hudson Bay coast

This image taken this morning was used as an illustration. I used Nik, Flood and Pixel Blender to render the image as viewed.

1D IV, 600mm
Manual, 1/500 @ f/5.6, ISO 800
Post-production- 15in MBP, LR3, CS5

See you where there is light, or at the computer

Chas in the Arctic

Norm Dulak
10-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Hi Charles.

I very much like your subject and the effects you've applied to it. But you might consider adding more canvass, especially above the bear, and perhaps to the left of it. I would also crop out some from the bottom. That would eliminate some of the darker areas, that might be viewed by some as a little distracting.

But this nevertheless is an interesting and nice image.

Norm

Dennis Bishop
10-28-2011, 05:42 PM
The colors and the PB oil paint effect on this are outstanding. I agree with Norm about wishing there were more space on the left and less on the bottom. However, my reason for less on the bottom has more to do with composition than distraction. In fact, I'd be tempted to compress the flooded part vertically and see what that looked like. The bear and background are just great, though.

Charles Glatzer
10-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the comments, and fully agree.
This was literally done in less than 5 minutes as part of a quick demonstration on the Flood and Pixel Bender filters. It was not meant to be the end all...., but rather an illustration of application.

Chas

Julie Kenward
10-28-2011, 08:07 PM
It's beautiful, nonetheless, Charles. I don't mind the extra width at the bottom but do agree that a tad more left and a bit more up top would help. Really nice catch light in the eyes...without that I think his face would feel very stark but because of that glimmer it seems to really bring him to life.

Andrew McLachlan
10-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Hi Charles, agree with above comments, love the filtering and the flood effect too!

Charles Glatzer
10-29-2011, 07:32 AM
It's beautiful, nonetheless, Charles. I don't mind the extra width at the bottom but do agree that a tad more left and a bit more up top would help. Really nice catch light in the eyes...without that I think his face would feel very stark but because of that glimmer it seems to really bring him to life.

There are no catch lights per say on flat overcast days. What you are seeing is the white of the eye, but they do add to the image, wink.
The background layer was duplicated, Pixel Blender applied with the effect being erased from the eyes and tip of nose.

Chas

Gary Hamilton
10-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Hi Chas: I'd like to see a Fractilious version of the original if you have a few spare moments. (The original itself must be another one of your gems!)

denise ippolito
10-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Chas, I like the multiple filters that you used. The band in the background adds interest and the soft color palette looks lovely. Great job with the transition line of the flood.:S3:

John Storjohann
10-29-2011, 05:46 PM
Charles, I'm late to the party...but I agree with many of the comments already made. Wonderful processing..and while I'm usually not a big fan of the Flood filter (totally a matter of personal taste!), I really like the effect here; as mentioned by others, I'd take a bit off the bottom...add a bit to the top and the left...and then print it for the holidays! Great start on a wonderful image.

Ken Childs
10-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Hey Chas, this is really nice work with those filters. If you do this well with a 5 minute demonstration, I can hardly wait to see what you get when you put some time into it! :S3:
I agree more space is needed on the left so the bear has somewhere to go to. I am fine with the small amount of space above the bear.