PDA

View Full Version : Creating a good bird environment in my lawn?

DennyKyser
10-28-2011, 01:22 PM
I have had good and bad years getting birds to my viewing area here in the northwest corner of PA.
I have water, cover, trees and I feed them, but some years just not a good turn out.

I blame some of this on stray cats, but I got a live cage trap and plan on getting rid of as many as I can.

I usually start feeding when the snow flies, but wonder if I should start sooner?

Any advice on attracting and keeping birds in my area through the winter.

Daniel Bailey
10-28-2011, 03:00 PM
2nd that!

I live in Central Va. I actually have a decent bird population (Cardinals, Finches (wish more Gold), Sparrows, and Wrens) with the one or two feeders I have. I bought a bird bath but don't use it as much as needed. I need to get a water wiggler/mister... mosquitos!. I have a mini daschund that constantly barks at my feeder tree. The birds have learned to tolerate him. Suet works wonders for me.... woodpeckers come a runnin'.

I'd love to hear what other's have to offer.

John Chardine
10-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Hi Denny- In winter many species prefer black oil seed, which is a small, black sunflower seed, and they also love black thistle seed sometimes known as "niger". Woodpeckers and other species love a fat cake but in warm temperatures, these can melt and foul the facial feathers of the bird. Never mind the cats, you will need to also become familiar with squirrel deterrence!

DennyKyser
10-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys, will get some feed out there and make sure they have plenty of cover. We have a drainage ditch that goes through the property surrounded by trees that is open until the frigid January sub zero days. I may need to prepare for some sort of water in that month, Feb it opens back up.

I also need to make some sort of perches to photograph them on.

george fraser
10-28-2011, 06:12 PM
try using branches positioned around the feeder and water to create a waiting room.

sharpen the end of the sticks to make it easier to put in the ground.

make sure you are aware of the background when placing the sticks.

George

Roger Clark
10-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Denny,

I recommend Alan Murphy's book (dvd, available on birds as art).

Roger

Peter Dexter
10-29-2011, 07:57 AM
A brush pile though maybe un sightly is popular with sparrows and other ground feeding birds.