View Full Version : Surfbird

Don Nelson
10-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Surfbird, Pacific Northwest Jetty
Surf in background
Canon 1DMkIV,800mm,1/320,f8,EB+0,no flash, ISO-800,almost full frame

Tom Rambaut
10-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Nice pose and it seems that the weather was overcast. I guess some fill flash would help in these conditions but I'm no expect on flash having used it little. There is nice detail in the feathers. There is a circle or ring mark at about 10 o'clock to the bird head I would try to remove. It is more obvious than the other spots in the BG. Was the focus point on the wing rather than the eye?- eye looks a bit softer than the wing. I may try a different crop as well - standard 6 x 4. Nice species of bird

Ron Sprunger
10-27-2011, 11:22 PM
I've never seen one of these, but it's a lovely bird. Terrific perch and BG, great IQ, and I love seeing the whole bird, including feet. It's a really nice image. I'm seeing a red fringe at the back of the head -- CA possibly. Should be easily correctable. My only quibble is with the crop, and that's pretty much personal taste. If it were mine, I'd take nearly half the distance from foot to bottom, and a bit from the top to get a 3:2 crop. With apologies, here's the crop and some red CA correction (better done in PS on the original, I think):

It's a wonderful image, very well done. No right or wrong on the crop, so feel free to disagree completely.

Dave Leroy
10-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Nice photo. Good clear look at bird and excellent pose. Of the two I think my preference is for the the 3/2 aspect.
If mine i might also warm the photo up a bit. It seems a bit cool to me eye.