PDA

View Full Version : The First to Go

Julie Kenward
10-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Here's a milkweed pod from my own backyard fence.

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
f4 @ 1/200th, ISO 400
Natural afternoon light, Daylight WB
Handheld, evaluative metering
Processed in CS5 and ran 2 rounds of NR on the BG

Brendan Dozier
10-27-2011, 08:31 PM
This is excellent, Jules, I love how you captured the "behavior" of the seeds & seed pod. Nice job on whites, great exposure, detail, and the soft BG colors sooo nice! Was that one seed just hanging on a little bit, or was it falling from the pod? Looking at the shutter speed, I'm thinking maybe hanging, but it looks like it could be falling too.

Julie Kenward
10-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Brendan, thank you. It was hanging. The wind was gusting now and then but I believe at this point it was caught by a few hairs and about to be set free. :S3:

Jerry van Dijk
10-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Hi Jules, great capture of the moment! These pods are soooo pretty! Your BG is gorgeous (seems like you have some great fall colors there). I do wish you had stopped down to get the stem and the tip of the pod IF, but this is no dealbreaker for me on this wonderful image.

Julie Kenward
10-28-2011, 07:23 AM
Jerry, the tip and stem were in focus. I used a bit of a blur vignette on the BG to help with noise and I might not have masked them back in properly.

Dave Leroy
10-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Wonderful image Jules. It really shows off the season well. I also wondered about the dof so thanks for clarifying that detail. Really nicely done on the feathery seeds. Not sure if you did but I wonder if you tried some with a bit of camera rotation to have more of a diagonal on the pod.

Julie Kenward
10-28-2011, 11:26 AM
I couldn't get more of a diagonal because of the fence running down two sides of the image...this was as close as I could get with those restrictions...but don't think I didn't think about it!

Ken Childs
10-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Hey Jules, this is outstanding! The light is perfect, the BG screams fall and you couldn't have asked for a better placement of that one seed! I really don't think that more of a diagonal would help improve this and IMHO, I think it would have hurt the overall shot because the one seed would have been at too much of an angle. Very well done! :cheers:

Steve Maxson
10-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Hi Jules.

This is definitely one of your best images! Good title, excellent subject material, beautiful light, nice comp, and a colorful background. Outstanding! :cheers:

Anita Bower
10-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Amazing detail and dof you get with f4, allowing for lovely, blurred bg.

RohanThakur
11-01-2011, 04:38 AM
A brilliant capture, and a great background with great details ... thanks for sharing!

Julie Kenward
11-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Thank you, everyone, for the nice comments. I've always loved seeing these in the fall season and this was one of the rare times that I actually caught up to one in a place where I could maneuver a photo.

Bob Miller
11-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Hi Julie......Very nice exposure on those feathery white seeds and the bg is gorgeous! You might consider using tonal contrast on the pod. It might create a contrast with the soft feathery seeds.