PDA

View Full Version : Sandpiper #4: White-rumped

Bill Dix
10-27-2011, 03:03 PM
This molting, stain-faced fellow was hanging around a grassy pool in Sandy Hook with one Least and a bunch of Semipalms, about a month ago. I had been experimenting with different camera settings just for fun, and over-exposed but recovered in ACR. Probably better to stick with what I know to work.

D7000 | 500f4 + 1.4 | Auto ISO (2800) | 1/1000s @ f.5.6 | + 1.7 EV

Dave Leroy
10-27-2011, 04:04 PM
What a nice variety and series Bill.
I like how this sandpiper is separated from bg. as the colors blend in so well. It looks like bird was on the move so good idea on the ss.

Karl Egressy
10-27-2011, 04:07 PM
This is the one eludes me forever. Great to have a nice picture of him/her, Bill.

dankearl
10-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Bill, this is very well done. The PP is great, I like the muted tones a lot. The best yet of the series.

Ron Sprunger
10-27-2011, 09:16 PM
I like the comp, HA, terrific detail, and environmental setting. Some might not like the tangled surround, but I like it (maybe that's because so many of mine are in a busy environment). I would wish for the feet, and would probably remove the OOF junk sticking straight up under the breast, otherwise I love it.

IMO if you can recover in PS, it's not overexposed -- just a good job of ETTR. The reward is great IQ; on the other hand if you go just a little too far you're sunk.

Raul Padilla
10-28-2011, 06:15 AM
for me is great showing the environment were live the bird, i would like a little more low angle

Daniel Cadieux
10-28-2011, 11:56 AM
I can see that the overexposure has given you a tough time with the rump, throat, and flanks as there are some hot whites in all those areas. A lower angle would have helped with the busy setting, but I see that there is already some FG stuff creeping in the frame at bottom. Quite a worn and dirty individual...I guess thay can't all be fresh and clean!