PDA

View Full Version : Help/Ideas/Options Needed Please

Marina Scarr
10-27-2011, 12:52 PM
This is a full frame image of an adult Burrowing Owl from this past Spring. I really like the BG colors which were acquired by keeping a distant yucca plant in the BG. I have tried 4 different crops and keep coming back to the same conclusion which is that "I have no clue what to do." Any ideas would be helpful. Maybe leaving it as is is the answer.

Canon 1D3, Canon 400 DO & 1.4
F7.1, 1/640sec, ISO 800, manual mode
Feisol tripod, Mongoose head

Thank you in advance for any advice or ideas you may share.

Marina Scarr
www.marinascarrphotography.com (http://www.marinascarrphotography.com)

Stu Bowie
10-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Hi Marina, love the sleepy pose, against a lovely smooth BG. IMHO, I find the OOF plant a liitle too much with regards to the rest of the BG. Here is my version keeping your plant in the image. :w3

Chris Kotze
10-27-2011, 01:06 PM
A portrait crop would also work well, but as you said it you like this one and so do I :bg3: Super light colours and detail.

We must have posted at the same time and you've beaten me to it Stu your effort looks great

Brendan Dozier
10-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Marina, beautiful owl with great light, and nice job how you placed those beautiful, rich colors in BG!
I have found myself in a similar situation many times, and usually if I am going back & forth between several different crops over & over, most of the time I will end up sticking with what I started with, mainly out of mental fatigue!

However, there is another solution. Go out everyday next spring to the same location, and wait for the owl to return! Problem solved! :bg3:

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Marina, here's my take. also did usm on some areas. that clipped a few spots so reduced the brightness there a bit.

Brendan Dozier
10-27-2011, 01:39 PM
This does look good. I do think taking some off the right makes a better comp.

Randy Stout
10-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Marina:

Good image to work with. I feel that Kaustubh's crop is closest to what I would do. Might crop in just a bit more from left to reduce the dark BG, or clone over that area if you feel comfortable with that.

I can see Stuart's version as well, but personally prefer more of the bird below.

Cheers

Randy

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Marina, I think this called for a standard 'head-at-ROT-point' crop....bird is looking one way...nice colors on that side. I liked the vignette effect of the dark area so kept that in.

I think Stuart's crop will also look good when presented larger. it would be a large crop but 1D3 IQ should hold up easilly...at least for web presentation and mid sized prints. base sharpness looks good.

Dave Leroy
10-27-2011, 03:43 PM
It is a very good problem to have Marina, especially with a lovely photo. The original has such a good subject and great colors that many options would work.
Of the two options provided my preference is the bit tighter crop. If mine I might also look at a very tight vertical crop.

Good for you to keep the yucca plant in bg.

Gary Esman
10-27-2011, 05:14 PM
What a fantastic shot. The warm colors here really make this inviting. With all the suggestions there are plenty of options. Is it not great to have all this help? Sharp and well executed. Hoping to get some shots of these guys in the Spring. Well Done.

Gary.

Josh Clark
10-27-2011, 07:49 PM
I like Stuarts repost. I think the tighter crop taking out some of the brightspot in the BG helps. In that verision I think the spot in the BG works well with the subject you captured. Cute shot of this owl too BTW.

Marina Scarr
10-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Thank you all for all of the input. Stuart, I don't necessarily disagree with you about the yucca plant being too powerful for this particular subject, but I also don't think it's a delete. I tried the vertical versions, and did not like it. I like both versions above for different reasons. I think I'll go ahead and crop it both ways! Thanks again everyone.

Doug Brown
10-27-2011, 09:58 PM
I vote for Kaustubh's version Marina.

Stu Bowie
10-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Thank you all for all of the input. Stuart, I also don't think it's a delete.

Hi Marina, deleting was never in my thoughts at all. I have plenty of images where Ive had the same senario. Well done for requesting suggestions. Maybe I will do this for all my images. :w3

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-28-2011, 10:00 AM
I like all three posts but am going with Kaustdubh"s as my favorite. It leaves the great bg colors yet brings more intimacy and attention to the owl. I am also suggesting light NR on the bg but i am a bit obsessed with the noise thing. Nice shot Marina I like the sleepy eye.