PDA

View Full Version : life goes on...

Don Railton
10-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Hi all
I spent a week on holiday recently with my eldest daughter Candice and the Grandkids in a small town just outside Adeliade. While driving between towns one day we were taken in by this run down old house sitting amongst the fresh new crop and decided it was worth a photo or two. Candice subsequently submitted it to the local paper and it was published as 'photo of the week'. Hope you like it to...

Details;
50D + 18mm Zeiss Distagon 3.5 fitted with cir pol filter. (a manual lens but it's great for landscape...)
1/30 sec @ F14
ISO 100
Tripod.

Don

Robert Amoruso
10-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Don,

I can see why it won, a pleasing to view image with a strong composition (leading lines of grass - well placed building - good balance in the image with the clouds).

I recommend additional sharpening. See my repost.

Sounds like you like that lens - I am thinking about getting one. I do just about all my landscape images with my manual Canon tilt-shift lens. Manual focus using hyper-focal scale - so who needs AF?:Whoa!: But 24mm is my widest so longing for a shorter focal length.

Rachel Hollander
10-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Don - I like the colors, nice sky and comp. Robert's repost improves an already strong image. Congrats on the paper.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Railton
10-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Thank you Robert and Rachel.

Yes Robert, I am very happy with this lens. Its very well built and I cannot find any distortion and its nice and sharp. Being manual its not really a substitute for the 16 to 35 as the lack of autofocus makes it a pain for thinks like Weddings etc where the moment comes and goes very quickly. But for landscapes its my 'go to' lens...

thanks

DON

Andrew McLachlan
10-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Nice capture Don. Congrats on the publishing of the image too! I like the way the rows in the crop lead up to the old building. Nice one!

Don Railton
10-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks Andrew. I was concerned that I might have left too much of the leading foreground but apparently not...

Don

Andrew Aveley
10-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Great work and congrats on the publishing :) I am enjoying well saturated images at the moment so toke the liberty of small changes crop , levels , saturation up 15 and some local contract enhancement :tinysmile_shy_t:

Don Railton
10-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks Andrew... The building has certainly come to life a little more with your enhanced colour but I feel the sky should be darker blue. I see you have cropped the top of somewhat but I think I prefer the clouds in OP. I guess you did this crop to move the building into the top LH third. Interesting to get the feedback on what others like and dislike...

thanks to all for your input

DON

Morkel Erasmus
11-03-2011, 04:43 AM
Missed this one, Don.

I like Robert's repost with extra sharpening applied. Andrew's saturation and contrast boost as added some "pop" to the house which I feel works well. I understand the crop Andrew applied, but agree with you the sky needs to stay. Then I thought about cropping from the bottom but that would diminish the leading lines formed by the crops...so in this case the 50/50 split on the horizon is justified IMHO...:e3

Don Railton
11-03-2011, 06:49 PM
I agree 100% Morkel... I hindsite I think I should have tried another composition a little bit lower which would have bought the horizon lower in the frame (maybe to the lower third) without loosing the leading line. This along with the extra sharpening and enhancements Robert and Andrew suggested may have produced a better image.

Thanks for the input

DON