PDA

View Full Version : Nice Perch?

Ken Watkins
10-27-2011, 04:03 AM
This White Backed Vulture uses a recently dead Elephant Skull as his lookout point.

The Elephant was killed in a fight with another male, the fight was observed from a boat with anglers, musy have been quite a sighting, I am glad I did not see it.

Taken in Matusadona National Park, Zimbabwe 19th September 2011

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 IS hand-held from open game viewing vehicle

F6.3. ISO 400, 1/2000

Randy Stout
10-27-2011, 07:24 AM
Ken:'

I guess in the vultures line of work, you use what you can, and aren't too picky about the details.

Sharp, well exposed, good HA on vulture, not so good on elephant.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
10-27-2011, 06:00 PM
That is quite sinister, and from the whitewash a preferred perch too. You got a perfect pose from the vulture. I'm wondering if a bit of a wider crop would work as I find the left and bottom tight on the skull (then you'd need more room top and right to re-balance the comp). This would have been so cool with some ivories present.

Must have been quite a fight for those who saw it...

Ken Watkins
10-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Randy and Daniel,

Thanks very much for your comments they are much appreciated:cheers:

Daniel,

Firstly all ivory from naturally dead Elephants is usually collected by the Wildlife Department as soon as it is found, this is certainly the case in Zimbabwe.

Just to get another plug in for my pro-sale point of view, there is sufficient Ivory collected in this way to satisfy the entire annual demand, yet for some reason best known to the CITES members, this is generally not allowed, so Elephants continue to be slaughtered by poachers, Funny old world.

Now off my high horse, here is a repost with more room.

Daniel Cadieux
10-28-2011, 05:09 AM
Yes!! The repost has more room to breathe and is what I had in mind.

Thanks for the info re: ivory. Always good to know the scoop.

Ken Watkins
10-28-2011, 05:12 AM
Daniel,

Thanks for your comment on the repost.

Regarding ivory I will shortly post a link over on my population and wildlife conservation thread which I think will provide everbody with some interesting detail as to the status of the African population.

Peter Dexter
10-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Impressive photo. The vulture certainly blends with his back ground. Vultures are interesting creatures.