PDA

View Full Version : Aurora In Corning NY

Ed Cordes
10-26-2011, 09:26 PM
The aurora came pretty far south on Monday. My wife and I were returning from a meeting and noticed the wonderful sky. I managed to get a few acceptable images.

1D MK4 with 17-40 @ 17. ISO 800 @ F4 and 15 seconds. The house on the right is the neighbor's and the shed on the left is mine. The "cardinal" near the center is my bird feeder. I know I could clone this out, but decided to leave it to maintain the natural appearance of the image.

Thanks for looking.

Roger Clark
10-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Hi Ed,

Nice image. A little curves could brighten that up nicely. Here in Colorado it has been cloudy (and snow)--bummer--I missed it.
You got nice colors with the green curtains and red diffuse glow. Could you see any color with your eyes?

Roger

Ed Cordes
10-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks Roger. This was a quick down and dirty processing job with LR only to get it out. I am surprised that more images are not posted. With our naked eye the reds were visible but about 1/3 the intensity. The greens were pretty evident. Considering how far south we are (just above the PA border in central NY) the colors were super. This also goes to show that not all meetings are bad. Had we been home all evening we most likely would have missed the show!

Robert Amoruso
10-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Ed,

The structures on the bottom are a dstraction - both grab the eye and hold it. I dowloaded the image and cropped out the house and shed for an immediate improvement. Give it a try.

Rachel Hollander
10-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Ed - I'm jealous that you could see it. No chance in NYC with all the lights. I agree with Robert on the crop.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
10-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Hi Ed, love the colors in the sky. I slept right through it. If only I had known. Saw a few shots from up this way and they were quite nice also. Glad you were able to witness and capture, must have been beautiful to watch.

Valerio Tarone
10-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Ed like the colors in the sky, It looks like aurora borealis. I've seen both images, I prefer the other one , as'thin horizon' , yes I should clone down the bottom or crop it.