PDA

View Full Version : Theme Spoonbill Landing

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-26-2011, 08:25 PM
I wanted to post for the theme so I thought this one from this weekend at Sanibel would work. I am dissapointed in IQ since it is about a 40%crop at a high ISO but the light wasn't good for the most part so I kept it high.I wish i was more aware and knocked it back to 500 or so. I liked the landing pose though.

Camera Model Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/4000
Av( Aperture Value ) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 800
Lens EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +2.0x

Randy Stout
10-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Cheryl:

Always a challenge to change the settings for the conditions, esp. ISO which we don't think about as much as shutter speed and aperture. Often as the light gets brighter, we really should dial down the ISO to max out quality, but it takes constant reminders , for me at least.

I like the head being in the clear, flared primaries on the back wing, touch of pink reflection,

In a perfect world, would prefer him rotated a bit more towards us to see more of the wings head on, rather than in profile.

Looks like a pretty young bird.

Cheers

Randy

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Cheryl:

Always a challenge to change the settings for the conditions, esp. ISO which we don't think about as much as shutter speed and aperture. Often as the light gets brighter, we really should dial down the ISO to max out quality, but it takes constant reminders , for me at least.

I like the head being in the clear, flared primaries on the back wing, touch of pink reflection,

In a perfect world, would prefer him rotated a bit more towards us to see more of the wings head on, rather than in profile.

Looks like a pretty young bird.

Cheers

Randy

I think it all gets harder to keep focused on remembering as I get older as well :e3

Stu Bowie
10-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Hi Cheryl, we are all in the same boat - when the action starts, our hearts race to capture everything at once, and after everything has died down, hopefully we had the correct settings for the sequence. Lots of space to land into, love the show of the far primaries, and your pink spoonies are so much more attractive than our drab white spoonies. :w3

Marina Scarr
10-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Glad to see you were able to capture some spoonies while on your trip. This crop doesn't quite work for me. There is too much on the bottom for my taste, esp since there is no nice reflection.

It's easy to forget to adjust an ISO as the light changes. In this case 1/4000sec was quite a bit more speed than you needed for a flying spoonie.

Robert Holguin
10-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Real nice landing shot. I really like the wing position. I would be very happy with a shot like this one.
Well done.

Raymond Lee
10-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Still a great shot Cheryl! The framing is fine to me! Exposure is good! Not sure you've already done it, but run NR in the background so that the photo doesn't seem to be as noisy.

Daniel Cadieux
10-27-2011, 05:18 PM
I agree with your self critique Cheryl, but still a nice image that brings back good memories from Florida. Forgetting settings is something we all do...I photographed a sunrise recently and only after the peak action passed did I notice I was at 1/8000s. and ISO 800:e3 So don't feel too bad....

You gotta pay yourself a little treat and get a ride on the Hooptie Deux...

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-27-2011, 07:09 PM
I agree with your self critique Cheryl, but still a nice image that brings back good memories from Florida. Forgetting settings is something we all do...I photographed a sunrise recently and only after the peak action passed did I notice I was at 1/8000s. and ISO 800:e3 So don't feel too bad....

You gotta pay yourself a little treat and get a ride on the Hooptie Deux...

Hi Dan Ok I feel better hearing yours at 1/8ooo LOL. No movement there I'm sure. I wanna do that ride so bad. I'm gonna start with the smaller trip since I will be unemployed start of the year but will definately paln for that one.

Thanks everyone else for the feedback

Daniel Cadieux
10-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi Dan Ok I feel better hearing yours at 1/8ooo LOL. No movement there I'm sure.

I wanted to freeze the sun's movement from its slow rise above the horizon...that is my story and I'm sticking to it!!:t3

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-28-2011, 09:43 AM
I wanted to freeze the sun's movement from its slow rise above the horizon...that is my story and I'm sticking to it!!:t3

And i was frezzing the wings and the dragonflies and flies all around the birds... I'm stickin too Heee:t3