PDA

View Full Version : Pied-Billed Grebe

Roy Priest
10-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Taken this morning at Gilbert Water Ranch. There was a family group with two almost grown chicks. Many times they came within my minimum focusing distance.

D700, 500mm f/4 @ 4.5, 1/2500, ISO 800

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-26-2011, 08:28 PM
What a cool shot. I love the flying water and head shake . Nice water colors too

Randy Stout
10-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Roy:

I like the composition/framing, sharpness and exposure, splash, water colors.

An unusual and excellent grebe shot.

Hope to see more from your adventure.

Be sure to tell us a bit more about that location.

Cheers

Randy

Alan Lillich
10-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Great timing. Every time I see grebes I try to catch their little jump-and-dive, I've never come close. Great light, BG color, pose, and focus to boot.

dankearl
10-26-2011, 11:37 PM
The water color, splash, and pose is really nice.
Maybe a bit off the bottom.

MohsenVahedipour
10-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Roy,
Excellent IQ & great timing. I like nice pose & soft light, water splashes & lovely water colors. TFS

Robert Holguin
10-27-2011, 01:28 AM
Excellent shot. Real great timing, love the splashing water, and great background colors.
Well done.

Karl Egressy
10-27-2011, 05:27 AM
Excellent action shot, Roy. It is a pose that is rarely seen or captured.

Stu Bowie
10-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Cool pose, and love the splashing water. I really like the striking colour of the BG.

Marina Scarr
10-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Killer image and unusual pose. Lovely water and the water droplets really puts it over the top.

Daniel Cadieux
10-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Nice pose and splashing action. I see the Pied-billed Grebes do this often...but never within good photo range! Great colours. I'd eliminate the white speck at the 8 o'clock position on the eye. I would also tone down the cyan cast projected on partsof the plumage. Very well done!

Troy Lim
10-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Very great shot, amazing colors off the water. Pose and droplets are great.
:)

Angad Achappa
10-29-2011, 12:49 AM
Great action here, nice pose as well, since you haven't got the entire reflection, might as well take off a little from the bottom?

Roy Priest
10-29-2011, 01:02 AM
Roy:

I like the composition/framing, sharpness and exposure, splash, water colors.

An unusual and excellent grebe shot.

Hope to see more from your adventure.

Be sure to tell us a bit more about that location.

Cheers

Randy

Thanks Randy, I have made it out here about 5 times since I've been down. We finally bought a house and had the house inspection today. Hope to close around mid next month.
Gilbert Water Ranch is located in Gilbert, (Who would have guessed :bg3:) Arizona. It is also know as the Riparian Institute. It consists of seven ponds and one fishing lake, all connected by different trails and pathways. I was told they use the ponds as aquifers, filling them and then reclaiming the water for irrigation as it percolates through the soil/substrate. This may or may not be true but I'm sure there are others on the list that will correct me.
They have a great history of rarities that show up here but most of the birds I've never or rarely seen so they are all interesting to me. There is also a small feral population of Peach-faced Lovebirds here and I have several pictures of them.

Roy Priest
10-29-2011, 01:05 AM
Great action here, nice pose as well, since you haven't got the entire reflection, might as well take off a little from the bottom?

Angad, thank you, I think you and Dan have a valid point about a re-crop.

Dan Behm
10-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Roy,
Very nice action shot captured here, The angle of the bird displays this action so nicely, congrats on this capture. I might consider truing the whites on the underbelly, but thats hardly worth mentioning, may be do to saturation boost? great work!

Dan