Galliani Carlo
10-26-2011, 03:37 PM
hello everyone
predation of Mantis religiosa

1/60s f/14.0 at 180.0mm iso400

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/4396/mantide180.jpg

Dave Leroy
10-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Excellent action captured and sharp as well at 1/60th. Catching the full head shot and eyes of prey really adds to drama.

Brendan Dozier
10-27-2011, 09:15 PM
I agree, Carlo, this is an excellent action capture and nicely composed. Like the thorns and diagonal line to perch too. Nice work!

Jerry van Dijk
10-28-2011, 02:39 AM
Hi Carlo, wonderful capture. One or two stops down, or a more perpendicular angle to the plane of the mantis would have added to the 'punch' of the image. The back end and head of the mantis are now slightly OOF. I do think that the overall sharpness of the image suffered from the low SS. I made some minor tweaks to your image to take it up a notch. I warmed the white balance a bit to get rid of the blueish cast from the shadows. I increased the exposure to make the image brighter. I added contrast by a levels adjustment and selectively sharpened the back end, the head and the thorax. Sharpening on the small size jpg looks a bit odd, but it's just to show you what you can reach with the original version.

Julie Kenward
10-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Like Jerry, I was thinking a bit more contrast would be nice and now I like both versions! Yours is more soft and that's great...his gives more punch to the mood that this is a mean and nasty world out there! Really well done overall, Galliani.

Ken Childs
10-29-2011, 09:31 AM
Hi Carlo, nice capture of nature in action! The diagonal comp works well here and in general, the BG looks very good although you might try lightening up the dark areas in the UR and LR. I agree that a boost in contrast will give this some pop and maybe brightening it a little will help also. For my tastes, something between the OP and Jerry's repost would look good. Overall a nice image that will easily go up a few notches with some minor adjustments. Well done! :S3:

Galliani Carlo
10-31-2011, 03:31 AM
thanks everyone for comments and suggestion much appreciated and I certainly will try a new version with more contrast and brightness