PDA

View Full Version : Another Cliff Swallow in Flight

Roger Clark
10-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Canon 1D Mark IV, 500 mm f/4 L IS 1/3200 second at ISO 800, f/4 in early morning light, manual exposure. I used the 500 on a tripod with full Wimberly. I had the custom function regarding AF acquisition speed on fast because there was often just a second or so from acquisition to when the bird changed direction and quickly moved out of the frame. In this shot, the bird was making this kind of a swoop down and then up close to me and I managed to keep on it. This is about a 50% crop.
From distance data, it seems the birds were flying at about 15 to 20 meters per second.

Stu Bowie
10-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Hi Roger, well done for capturing this very fast flyer in the middle of your frame. The angle may be a bit high, but it does show of the underwing detail nicely. I like the full wingspread and fanned tail, and the sky BG works well here too.

Marina Scarr
10-26-2011, 04:57 PM
I know from trying to capture Tree Swallows that these guys give new meaning to fast and they swerve . So, well done with a nice tail and wing spread as well as catchlight.

Tom Rambaut
10-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Well done Roger - I have spend much time trying to get images of these speed demons - without success.

Dan Busby
10-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Very nice Roger. I like the wing spread and eye catch. Quite sharp. Not crazy about the pure blue sky ...

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-26-2011, 08:37 PM
I have yet to get a flying swallow that I am happy with . This looks good and I know you worked hard to get it especially on a tripod. I'd say you did good. My only wish would be for the ha to be tilted down a tad but hey, I'd be happy to get this one as well.

adrian dancy
10-27-2011, 03:10 AM
I would regard almost any shot of this, or similar species, captured in focus, to be something of an achievment and to manage the same using a tripod doubly so. The head postion does make the subject a little detached...but I can live with that. A grand effort.

Roger Clark
10-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Just a note about hand held versus tripod: I've always found I can track smoother and more consistently with the 500 f/4 when on a tripod and gimbal mount, especially the 500 f/4 which is a heavier lens, and especially when working with TCs. When I use my 300 f/2.8, I usually hand hold. I do occasionally hand hold the 500, but prefer the tripod. There are pluses and minuses to each method.

Roger