View Full Version : Question Mark Buttefly

Allen Sparks
10-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Canon 7D, Canon 300 f4 IS, Tamron 1.4x SP Pro TC, HH
ISO 400, f14, 1/200s, EC -2/3

Cloned out some green leaves in the BG

Ken Childs
10-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Hey Allen, I love this pose which is a hard one to find with anglewings and the sharpness looks great on the entire bfly. Nice BG, too. The colors look just a bit hot so you might consider desaturating them 5 to 10 points. The leaf could stand to be toned down....maybe selecting it and adding some black to the greens and yellows would fix that. If you're OK with such things, there are some scrapes and marks on the right wing that could be cloned over....doing that would make this QM look pristine and fresh. This one is very well down...adding a few PP tweaks will take it to the top! :cheers:

Jerry van Dijk
10-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Hey Allen, good advice already given by Ken. I do think that the wings look a little soft and could do with some additional sharpening. Did you use flash on this one? The shadows look a bit harsh.

Brendan Dozier
10-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Great looking BFly, Allen, and nicely composed image! Think both Ken & Jerry make good suggestions for making it even stronger.

Julie Kenward
10-27-2011, 11:06 AM
I agree with the others - you have a very nice base image that, with a few small tweaks, would really be outstanding. Nice job on the composition - the diagonal placement is great and you have just enough negative space around the bf that it feels free to come and go. Lovely image!

Allen Sparks
10-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone...gives me food for thought. @Jerry, this was in full sun, no flash.
I rarely get a chance for an open wing shot of this species so was pleased to get this one. Thanks again!

Steve Maxson
10-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Hi Allen. I agree that an open-wing shot of this species is a rare opportunity and you made the most of it. Ken and Jerry have covered my thought for suggested tweaks so I won't repeat. Just a couple tweaks will take this beauty over the top! :S3:

OvidiuCavasdan
10-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Very nice BF and colors. I like the composition and BG. Good sharpness an DOF. Well done.