PDA

View Full Version : Black Swan.

Tom Rambaut
10-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Got this image the other day. The Black Swan pair on this lake have four youngsters this year.

Still trying new things with the 2x extender. More options for sure. 1d MK4, 500mm +2x ext (1000mm). 1/640 @ 10. 500iso. EV 0.

Thanks Tom

Tom Rambaut
10-25-2011, 09:00 PM
About a year since joining BPN and 16 months or so since picking up a camera for the first time - other than happy snaps. Thanks to all the people that have commented on my good, bad and ugly images. I have improved no doubt from the comments and just by looking at images and comments posted on BPN.:cheers::cheers:

Randy Stout
10-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Tom:

Excellent shooting angle, love the bow wake, fuzzy look, exposure and sharpness.
The comp works for me too.

Keep those experiments going!

Cheers

Randy

Tom Rambaut
10-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Tom:

Excellent shooting angle, love the bow wake, fuzzy look, exposure and sharpness.
The comp works for me too.

Keep those experiments going!

Cheers

Randy

The comp was my only doubt - since you like it I will leave it. Tripod set low in the water and I'm sitting on a rock with bare legs in the water - lucky it is warm!

Ofer Levy
10-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Hi Tom,
looks pretty good for the x2 converter!! Just maybe a bit bright overall. Here is a repost with some levels, brightness and S/H adjustments as well as slightly de-saturated the blues (can take a bit more). Converted to sRGB for web as colour space was not embedded.

Tom Rambaut
10-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Hi Tom,
looks pretty good for the x2 converter!! Just maybe a bit bright overall. Here is a repost with some levels, brightness and S/H adjustments as well as slightly de-saturated the blues (can take a bit more). Converted to sRGB for web as colour space was not embedded.

Thanks for the time reworking it - like the colour of the bird now but the blue looks too blue for my taste. You say you desaturated them but to me they look even more blue. May be this is the converting to sRGB? I have not got my head around the sRGB bit - I thought that it was in sRGB. What does the embedding bit mean?

I had read some negative reviews about it with larger lenses - images not sharp etc. Took me a long time to decide about spending the $500 to buy it. Thought I would regret it but have not.

Ofer Levy
10-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Hi Tom, yes blue in the repost are oversaturated and should be de-saturated more. I haven't changed the colours but converting to sRGB does make image look more saturated on the web. Best thing to do is to open the two versions in Photoshop so you can really see the difference. Converting to sRGB WILL NOT effect the sharpness of your image. I amnot sure I understand what 500$ you are talking about.:2eyes2:

Tom Rambaut
10-25-2011, 09:31 PM
I payed $530.00 for it. What, could you find it cheaper? Even B & H with shipping and the high Aus dollar worked out about that price. So I got it in Sydney. Thought it was a good price.

Ofer Levy
10-25-2011, 09:35 PM
I payed $530.00 for it. What, could you find it cheaper? Even B & H with shipping and the high Aus dollar worked out about that price. So I got it in Sydney. Thought it was a good price.
You paid 530$ for what?

dankearl
10-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Tom, very nice image. I like the OP, softer and and more muted colors.
Very nice angle.

Tom Rambaut
10-25-2011, 09:41 PM
You paid 530$ for what?

The x2 extender.

Ofer Levy
10-25-2011, 09:50 PM
The x2 converter can deliver great images if you use it properly as you have done in here. It is good to stop down to get sharper results.
Here is your OP just converted to sRGB.

Tom Rambaut
10-25-2011, 09:53 PM
The x2 converter can deliver great images if you use it properly as you have done in here. It is good to stop down to get sharper results.
Here is your OP just converted to sRGB.

Good one Ofer. Like this even better - have to remember to stop down if other imputs allow.

Sidharth Kodikal
10-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Lovely low angle, pose and sharpness, especially considering the 2x.
Have you used the 2x II and if so, do you see any improvements with the 2x III with this rig?

My theory for the color shift, fwiw:

I believe the color shift in Ofer's first repost has to do with the "default" color space in PS that he has set up.
It it were sRGB it would look exactly the same as the OP when opened in PS.
My guess is that Ofer's default PS color space is ADOBE RGB 1998. PS thus assumed RGB for the OP, which was untagged.
This creates a significant color shift. Later this file was converted to sRGB which probably added a bit more shift.
I set my default color space to RGB and turn ON the option to warn me if I open a file if the profile is missing.

arash_hazeghi
10-25-2011, 11:13 PM
very nice low angle, a bit more sharpening and contrast boost will improve this like Ofer's repost. great work!

Daniel Cadieux
10-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Great low angle and good comp. Love the wake being pushed by the swan. A combination of the rework in pane #5 with the colours of pane #12 would be super. All versions have a bit of weirdness on the top part of the BG, almost jpeg compression-ish....details look good however.

Stu Bowie
10-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Tom, good DOF, and I like your low perspective. Overall well exposed, and good to see the plumage detail so well. Love the wave infront.

Tom Rambaut
10-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Great low angle and good comp. Love the wake being pushed by the swan. A combination of the rework in pane #5 with the colours of pane #12 would be super. All versions have a bit of weirdness on the top part of the BG, almost jpeg compression-ish....details look good however.

Thanks Daniel - I can also see it. This has crept into other mages of mine - jpeg compression I think. I do not fully understand the technical aspect of this issue.

Mark Young
10-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Nice low angle. I like the improvements in Ofer's repost.