PDA

View Full Version : Flying Burrowing Owl

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-04-2008, 08:47 AM
This little guy has been a real challenge and especially getting light images with the right color and sharpness. I will be leaving for Israel on Tuesday so you will be spared another burrowing owl image < smile >

Nikon D300
Nikon 300mm F2.8
ISO 259
1/1250, F6.3
hand held.

All comments are always appreciated. Thanks.

Steve Maxson
04-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Very nice image, Judy. I think this is your best post yet of these flight photos. Love the pose and the vertical composition.

Fabs Forns
04-04-2008, 09:08 AM
WOW, Judy, this is by far the best from the collection!

Going to have to visit when you get back ;)

Have a great trip and tell the little Beep to behave!!!!

Alfred Forns
04-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Judy I'll like to pitch a tent in your backyard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome Can't think of a better flying pose and don't recall seeing many for these guys !!!!!

btw make sure Beep does take his afternoon nap !!!!

Arthur Morris
04-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Yes, this is better than the first. Those tail feathers are really a mess. Either you are doing something to make these birds fly or you have more patience than any living human. Why do I say that? These guys do not spend much time flying around. And in addition, when they do, you never know where they are going... Would love to hear the whole story. If you are just standing there and the birds routinely fly into perfect position then you have my apologies but I would either need to be there to see it or watch a video tape.

later and love, artie

Jim Poor
04-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Definitely the best so far. It could be the angle, but the pupil looks damaged to me. I've seen a lot of birds with injured eyes lately.

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi Artie , I can understand your thoughts but let me explain. There is only one owl in our community and he has chosen to build a home in the back phase where there are about twenty vacant lots. As yet he has not found a mate and has burrowed two holes. What has been fortunate for me in the flight images is that between the two hole is a lamp post which on occassion he will fly to. Depending on which hole he is using at the time he will always fly back to it thus presenting a perfect opportunity for me to capture him in flight. I have stayed lying on the ground watching him from early morning to 11 o'clock and then again in the afternoon from about 3.30 to 7/ It is a once in a lifetime chance to phtograph this little one as there is no one around and at the last thing I would ever do is to disturb him in any way. In fact when I put my blanket down to lie on he hardly pays any attention to me and does not even go into his hole. The only time I have seen him upset is when the ospreys or hawks fly overhead. The only reason for these images is the lampost and the fact that I am there as much as possible. Many thanks Artie for your comments and interest. Regards Judy

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Jim his eye is not damaged as I have seen them both wide open and both are a beautiful yellow color but what has happened is that appears that he has a lot of sand from digging his hole and the sand seems to be caught on the feathers just below his eye which gives the appearance of a hurt eye. At first I was concerned but all is well with this little guy. thanks Jim.

Jim Poor
04-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Good to hear. I think one downside to all the easily accessible birds in FL (present species excluded) is that they are also more exposed to the hazards of being around us humans. I saw lots of hurt birds on my trip.

Raul Quinones
04-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Agree, the best of this series. Have a safe trip.

Arthur Morris
04-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the expanation Judy. You still have way too much patience... Are you making the flight images while laying on the ground?

later and love, artie

Brian Wong
04-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Hi Judy Lyn!

Agree with the rest ... I love the spread wing, and especially the look at you. You did a great job with all of these, and I appreciate the story!

Stephen Stephen
04-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Just a great image Judy. I thought that I was patient but your efforts are above and beyond and you've got the image to prove it. Well done.

Nikolay Staykov - shotlandetsa
04-04-2008, 02:45 PM
simply fabulous :)))

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Hi Artie,

Most of the time I am either sitting or lying on the ground but when the owl decides to fly to the lamp post I stand up and keep my camera focused on him and pray that when he decides to fly back to the hole that I will be able to capture him in flight. He has only flown to the lamp three times since I have been watching him so it does not happen very often. Again many thanks for your comments Artie.

Steve Canuel
04-04-2008, 03:14 PM
I knew these guys flew! I could never get them flying (well, at least not all of them). Love the banking pose and head turn. Living on the ground takes a toll on the feathers though, doesn't it.
Steve

Arthur Morris
04-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Hu Judy, Thanks for the clarification. It is still a fantastic image. Have a great trip.

later and love, artie

susanschermer
04-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Wow, Judy! I am so impressed with your patience and your flight photo skills. This one is indeed most amazing. Did you get this today?

Ric Grupe
04-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Exceptional, Judy!:)

I would be very proud if I were you.

Linda Robbins
04-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Killer image in every respect. I am so jealous! Have a wonderful trip!

George DeCamp
04-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Holey Moley Judy, I am so jealous you have this. Your patience has certainly paid off!