PDA

View Full Version : Clif Swallow in Flight

Roger Clark
10-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Alan Murphy's superb barn swallow reminded me that I photographed some cliff swallows last year (I think I have the ID right--corrections welcome if not). Anyway, they are amazingly fast and erratic. These birds were around for a few days here in Colorado last summer and where catching flying bugs.

Canon 1D Mark IV, 500 mm f/4 L IS 1/3200 second at ISO 800, f/4 in early morning light, manual exposure. I used the 500 on a tripod with full Wimberly. I had the custom function regarding AF acquisition speed on fast because there was often just a second or so from acquisition to when the bird changed direction and quickly moved out of the frame. In this shot, the bird was making this kind of a rapid turn close to me and I managed to keep on it. This is about a 50% crop.

Roger

Ofer Levy
10-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Sharp with excellent detail! Shooting angle and HA are not ideal but still nice.

Randy Stout
10-25-2011, 07:49 AM
Roger:

I have had lots of fun but little success with our local swallows, such fast and erratic fliers.

Good job keeping him mostly in your shallow DOF plane with these settings.

Nice wing and tail flare.

Agree with Ofer, but still a nice capture.

Cheers

Randy

Roger Clark
10-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks Randy, Ofer,

I agree about the HA, but maybe it should be called head rotation: would have been better if the head was rotated about 20 degrees more counter clockwise so the eye was looking more at the camera. it was good that the head was rotated some, so showing the eye pretty well.
This guy was moving so fast, that the next frame he/she was out of the frame (at 10 frames/second).

Ofer, what do you mean regarding shooting angle? I do like the low angle of incidence on the wings, but would have liked a little more light on the upper wing.

I like how it feet are really tucked in tight for minimal drag.

Roger

Ofer Levy
10-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks Randy, Ofer,

I agree about the HA, but maybe it should be called head rotation: would have been better if the head was rotated about 20 degrees more counter clockwise so the eye was looking more at the camera. it was good that the head was rotated some, so showing the eye pretty well.
This guy was moving so fast, that the next frame he/she was out of the frame (at 10 frames/second).

Ofer, what do you mean regarding shooting angle? I do like the low angle of incidence on the wings, but would have liked a little more light on the upper wing.

I like how it feet are really tucked in tight for minimal drag.

Roger
Hi Roger, I usually prefer to see images taken at or close to eye level even when it comes to BIF. Here it looks like the lens was pointing up.

Roger Clark
10-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Hi Roger, I usually prefer to see images taken at or close to eye level even when it comes to BIF. Here it looks like the lens was pointing up.

Well, I was certainly looking up, I just don't remember how much. One must look up at least some to get blue sky. In this case, the bird had just done a dive and was swooping up showing the underside. If you look at Alan Murphy's barn swallow image the body angle and head angle are almost the same as my image. Alan's image has a lower phase angle. I would actually prefer a phase angle between that of Alan's and mine.

Roger

Ofer Levy
10-25-2011, 07:45 PM
I have looked at Alan's image and I think he was further away from the bird than you as fine detail are not great due to the crop. However, shooting angle is 'better' in his image and I would prefer an even lower shooting angle - close to eye level. Not easy but I have seen a few similar images in the past which were very good in this respect. I don't have a flight shot of these or similar swallows though..:e3

Daniel Cadieux
10-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Nice wingspread and pose. Sharp too. I do wish the shadow had cleared the top of the head. Interesting discussion too. I tend to agree with Ofer here, but like him and Randy I too have had little succes with the erratic swallows (so far!)...so all I can do is admire your image and hope for something similar next year...

Harshad Barve
10-26-2011, 12:14 AM
very nice indeed . excellent under wing details
TFS