PDA

View Full Version : Stubb's Falls

Andrew McLachlan
10-24-2011, 08:32 PM
From this fall at Stubb's Falls on the Little East River in Ontario's Arrowhead Provincial Park near the town of Huntsville. It was a very wet rainy day, but I love those for waterfall photography. The autumn colors were rather nice here, but in general it was a disappointing year for color. Just outside the left of the frame was a very cooperative Great Blue Heron that I shot many images of. A small crop from the bottom.

Look forward to comments.

Nikon D200
Nikon 12-24mm lens @ 15mm
ISO 100
f22 @ 1.1 sec.
Nikon Polarizing filter
mirror-lock

Rachel Hollander
10-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Andrew - Nice fall tones and I really like how the blurred water mimics the ridges in the rocks above it. Nice use of a slow ss. There's one very white rock or spot of water (?) on the very left in the middle of the 2 rocks that draws the eye. I would either tone it done or clone it out.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew Aveley
10-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Not much to say here but great image with colour , lines and soft smooth water :) Great work

Robert Amoruso
10-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Rainy/overcast is the best for these types of images. IMO the mimicking of the water flow in the rocks really adds a lot of impact to this image. Nicely done.

I might have been tempted to try to include more of the rock on the lower right and nut cut it but that might have added more distractions.

Andrew McLachlan
10-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks Rachel, Andrew and Robert, much appreciated!

Rachel, I will evict the white foam you mention...I missed that one thanks for noticing.

Robert, I do have more of the rock in the lower right, I will take another look, but there is lots of unpleasant looking foam around most of it. I am wishing now that I shot a panorama of this scene, but I was rushing to grab a few shots before making a 2 hour b-line south to pick-up my daughter from her junior kindergarten class. Next fall I will shoot the pano :S3:

Jerry van Dijk
10-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Hi Andrew, an image with lots of interest! I like the crossing diagonals of the two water flows and the curved lines of the rocks that add a little tension to the diagonals.

Ed Cordes
10-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Very nice comp. I like the colors and the flow effect of the water. Those rocks, well, Rock!

Andrew McLachlan
10-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks Jerry and Ed, very much appreciated!