PDA

View Full Version : Sandpiper

Robert Holguin
10-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Hello everyone. I saw a group of these tiny birds the other day that were more than willing to let me get kinda of close. Here is a pic of one of them. I find these birds hard to id, but my guess is a Least Sandpiper. C&C welcomed and encouraged.
Camera - Nikon 300s, Lense - Nikon 200-400 w/1.4tc, Exposure - 1/800, Aperture - F8, ISO - 400, Focal Length - 550mm, Metering - Multi Segment, Manual.

<!-- / message --><!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Dumay de Boulle
10-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Lovely low angle and colors..Maybe a touch more sharpening!

arash_hazeghi
10-25-2011, 01:04 AM
Excellent low angle and nice head turn. maybe a tad more sharpening!

Jim Crosswell
10-25-2011, 05:12 AM
I like the low angle, pose and DOF. I agree with the sharpening suggestions. Well done Robert!

Randy Stout
10-25-2011, 07:33 AM
Robert:

Good job getting close to this little guy. Excellent shooting angle, exposure, head angle.

Agree with a bit more sharpening. The shoulder looks just a bit sharper than the head, and perhaps that is where your focus point was.

I might consider burning in the foreground in a bit of a gradient pattern, darkest at bottom. I think that would play well with the gradient above and downplay the foregrounds impact.

I like the clear view of the toe nails.

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
10-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Lovely HA here Robert, and I too like the perspective. The two tone BG works well, and another vote for some more sharpening.

Karl Egressy
10-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Beautiful adult Least Sandpiper picture, Robert.

Daniel Cadieux
10-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Good profile pose with a perfect HA. I dig the low angle alot, but I think going up a little higher would have been good here to give more separation between the foot and the OOF FG. I really like the framing at top with the darker band, and I like Randy's idea of burning the bottom a bit. Well done, good call on the vertical comp!

Robert Holguin
10-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Thank you all very much for all the comments and advice. Here is a repost with a tad more sharpening, and I tried messing with the foreground. I hope I did right. Let me know what you all think.