PDA

View Full Version : Island Gem

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Spent the weekend on the east coast of Florida visiting ny father. I stopped by Sanibel on the way and was able to get some shots of a few migrating passerines. This I believe is a Blue headed Vireo.
I cleaned up a little and cropped about 40% NR and Sharpening. I would have been happier to not have the bright areas in the back but with these little ones it's kinda hard to get them where you want them.

Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/320
Av( Aperture Value ) 7.1
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 1600
Lens EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +2.0x
Focal Length 600.0 mm
Image Size 3888x2592
Image Quality RAW
Flash On
Flash Type External E-TTL
Flash Exposure Compensation -1/3
C&C greatly appreciated Thanks

Marina Scarr
10-24-2011, 08:48 PM
I am finding this image quite appealing. Some might think it's busy, but it's a pleasing enviromental shot. I like where you placed your bird in the frame and the vines frame him quite well.

Randy Stout
10-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Cheryl:

Birds in the vegetation with bright spots in the background are always a bit of a challenge. Certainly your use of flash was a good choice.

He is sharp, well exposed, like his grip on the vine, placement in the frame good.

I might try and tone down the brightest patches in the BG, and the bright leaves on the left frame edge.

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
10-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Hi Cheryl, I too like the surrounding foliage, and you managed to capture the little guy in an opening. Good use of flash, and the more I look at this, the brighter areas become less distracting. :w3

Rick Poulin
10-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Beautiful capture of an elusive warbler. It is a Magnolia Warbler.

Daniel Cadieux
10-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Interesting habitat image. I'm not so fond of the bright white patches in the background, but I do like the scraggly vine-like perch. Any other time the HA would have been less than ideal, but here it works well within the framing of the "vine".

Rick, good catch on the ID.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Beautiful capture of an elusive warbler. It is a Magnolia Warbler.

A Magnolia warbler? Great I havn't gotten one of these thanks so much for the ID