PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Flock

Morkel Erasmus
10-24-2011, 02:19 PM
We had a local photographic competition over the weekend to try and determine the number of species resident at one of our local man-made "lagoons". I am going through my shots to pick my entries and this one piqued my interest. Won't be everyone's cup-of-tea but I am interested in your honest feedback on whether you feel this works?

A flock of doves took off over the water and ascended into the overcast sky which was ablaze as the sun was starting to rise.

Techs:
Nikon D3s with Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II + 1.4xTC @ 700mm
f5.6 @ 1/500 SS @ ISO-2000
Handheld

Daniel Bailey
10-24-2011, 03:55 PM
I would clone out the smaller flock in the background.

Jay Gould
10-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Mate, I really like it. I would remove the dots on the RHS that are cut by the edge.

Gary Esman
10-24-2011, 06:24 PM
I like this also, something different here. Really like the colors.

Gary.

Marina Scarr
10-24-2011, 07:21 PM
The thumbnail really piqued my interest, Morkel. That sky is just gorgeous. I love the idea and the colors. I wish the birds were either a tad bigger in the sky or that they were flying in such a way to make them appear a little bigger or more like birds.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-24-2011, 07:32 PM
I like your idea here and the sky colors really make the image. It's a little simple but works for the subject of the contest IMO.

Steve Kaluski
10-25-2011, 01:03 AM
Like the colours & concept on this one Morkel.

Morkel Erasmus
10-25-2011, 01:45 AM
Thanks everyone. With shots like these one always wants the flock to be "discernable" if you know what I mean...having enough individuals in 'recognisable' poses as it were. I'm not sure I pulled it off here, but I do like the colours and mood. Will chop some off the RHS! :Whoa!:

Randy Stout
10-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Morkel:

Good comments above. I also like the sky color, find the birds too small in the frame, could almost pass as bats on first glance. The mass of dark trees is pretty strong against the lighter sky, and it makes that corner of the picture very 'heavy' without enough counter weight from the birds for my taste. I think you could downplay that by trimming a bit from the right and below, or if possible even lightening the trees just a bit would reduce their impact some.

A near miss for me Morkel.

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
10-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Hi mate, I really like the colour of the sky, and also feel the birds are a touch small. I would only clone out the OOF birds, and leave the overall comp as is. Well done for thinking out the box - 10/10 there. :w3

Chris Kotze
10-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Super mood, great light and colours. Nice one Morkel something diffident.