PDA

View Full Version : Along the Natchez Trace

Dennis Bishop
10-23-2011, 08:56 PM
If you haven't driven the Natchez Trace, you should put it on your list. And allow lots of time because there are frequent photo opps. This pull-off is in the very northwest corner of Alabama. Especially from the opposite side, that looks like a beaver dam across the pond.

5 exposure (1EV, each) HDR, ISO 100, f/20, 20mm

2 layers Topaz Simplify (BuzSim as it comes from the box and a preset of mine that has more edge detail and less saturation)
Lightened the upper portion (white gradient plus mask) to add depth. Made a big difference even with a very low opacity.

Two warming filter layers -- both masked to protect the water on the far side of the dam. One also warmed the water (and everything else) on the near side because the blue, there, was so electric. It also darkened that area, somewhat, which played into the effort to indicate depth.

I wasn't sure about those two stalks in the lower right corner. After healing them out, I decided to keep them after all. Any comments related to that -- and anything else -- would be appreciated.

Dave Mills
10-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Hi Dennis, I like the filter effect which adds a painterly look. The mixed lighting is well controlled. If this were mine I would do 2 things. First I would fill in the small area of open sky and secondly I would go with the stick eviction since it was one of the first things I noticed. Otherwise, well handled...

John Storjohann
10-24-2011, 06:26 AM
Hi Dennis;

Dave makes two excellent suggestions; you have a strong base image, you did a great job with the processing...evicting the sticks (like Dave, my eye was drawn immediately to them)...and while I don't know if I would fill in the small area of open sky, I'd darken it to match the blue sky seen just to the left of the larger open area. That bright spot tends to draw the eye a bit as well. I might have been tempted to bring back JUST a hint of the original detail through the BuzzSim effect...personal taste! Enjoying your images...keep them coming!

Bob Miller
10-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Hi Dennis....really enjoyed this image and your processing notes. You might try cropping the top just a bit and evicting the sticks! I love the sense of light in the trees and the colors in the water creating that strong sense of depth.

Julie Kenward
10-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Beautiful lighting and processing. I'd definitely lose the sticks and the lighter spec of sky. I think you might also look at taking the bottom 1/2" off as well and cutting just below where the lighter sticks end on the bank at the right.

Really excellent ethereal glow to this - it would make an excellent fairy tale/child's book illustration.

Andrew McLachlan
10-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Hi Dennis, love the filtering and the scene. I think filling in the touch of sky showing and removing the sticks would make this one perfect. Very nicely done!

Dennis Bishop
10-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks, everybody. I made several changes (to the version that randomly cycles as my desktop). As soon as Dave mentioned the sky, I realized how right he was about replacing it. Just about everyone else seemed to agree. Jules' suggestion about cropping the bottom was a great one, too. And after I did that, there was no longer any question about getting rid of those two stalks in the LRC. I appreciate everyone's input.

Indranil Sircar
10-25-2011, 12:27 AM
Wonderful composition, Dennis. I love the colors and the effect of the filters. Nicely done.

Ken Watkins
10-25-2011, 12:57 AM
Dennis,

When I was much younger I had an LP by the unique american band, Pavlov's Dog, on it was a track called Natchez Trace, and I have nver had any idea of what it was.

Now I know, thanks for sharing this.

Cheryl Slechta
10-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Dennis, I'm sorry to be commenting so late but I really like the painterly look to this. When I first saw the thumbnail earlier in the week it reminded me of Dave Phillips and his images of Cooterville, LA.
I thought a crop from the bottom would be nice.:S3: