PDA

View Full Version : French Cathedral Interior

Dave Mills
10-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Still working on my images taken this summer in France. On this trip I targeted churches and monasteries(among other things) The nice thing about churches is they were usually empty and I could use a tripod which gave me the ability to shoot HDR's.
This is a 7 image HDR.
Funny, after posting I noticed it might need a slight CCW rotation

Andrew McLachlan
10-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Hi Dave, beautiful church. Love the colors and the HDR is very nicely done. Not sure about the rotation...it could be an optical illusion. When looking at the bottom edge of the comp it all looks good to me.

Rene Quenneville
10-23-2011, 06:37 PM
When there is some perspective distortion, it is often difficult to see if there is a need for rotation. In this case, from the bottom edge, we would rotate CCW and from the top edge we wou rotate CW.

Roger Clark
10-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Hi Dave,
As a large format view camera photographer, I would have corrected the perspective distortion on scene (or now days it would be nice to have a tild shift lens for my DSLR). But it is now easy to correct such distortion in photoshop. It is under edit -> transforms.

Nice image. It does need rotation. One can tell by the base near the bottom of the image, and the alignment elements in the center of the image from top to bottom.
I think perspective distortion first, then rotation.

Roger

Morkel Erasmus
10-24-2011, 01:54 AM
The nice thing about churches is they were usually empty and I could use a tripod which gave me the ability to shoot HDR's.

Even on Sundays?? :e3

Looks like a nice place...I agree on Roger's assessment and look forward to seeing the results, Dave. Good to see you posting and can't wait to see more of France through your lens.

Rachel Hollander
10-24-2011, 07:56 AM
Dave - I like the rich colors and I agree on the need for a slight rotation. Looking forward to more.

TFS,
Rachel

Dave Mills
10-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks folks!
Roger, I will give your suggestions a try.

Andrew Aveley
10-24-2011, 01:25 PM
This is just a superb image and great HDR process. Besides comments made about rotation etc , real great lines through out this.:tinysmile_shy_t:

Robert Amoruso
10-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks folks!
Roger, I will give your suggestions a try.

Dave,

Anytime you plan on distoration correction in PS, you need to frame wide to give the program room to work with otherwise the important parts of the image will be cropped out.

HDR looks good (i.e. realistic).