PDA

View Full Version : Northern Saw-whet Owl Talons.

Daniel Cadieux
10-23-2011, 01:41 PM
What a great find this morning!! A Northern Saw-whet Owl, in the open, at eye level!! 5 chickadees, 2 nuthatches, 2 Blue Jays, and a Hairy Woodpecker alerted me to this fella...so a special thanks goes to them:S3: Very tame, allowing me to use my macro lens to photograph its claws...an amazing feeling being so close to a wild raptor...my heart is still beating a hundred miles a minute...

Canon 7D + 100mm f/2.8 macro, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/100s., f/10, ISO 800, flash @ -1.7 FEC. About 80% FF, reduced the flash highlights on the talons, and minor clean-up to two of them.

Rene Quenneville
10-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Very un-usual, I can feel your heart beat!!! The third claw and the LRC are OOF, it is a little distracting to my eye. Maybe a little blurr to the LLC and Bottom of the frame would balance the composition more.

Marina Scarr
10-23-2011, 05:07 PM
I absolutely love the idea behind this picture. I only wish that all of the talons were in sharp focus.

Alan Murphy
10-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Nice one Daniel. Looking forward to seeing the whole bird too.

Ofer Levy
10-23-2011, 06:57 PM
I agree with Marina regarding more dof. Would also prefer to see the whole bird. However, if you just convert it into B&W - good chances you can win a major competition.
Something like this....:w3

Daniel Cadieux
10-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Yep, DOF was a challenge with the macro lens and low light and I agree with your remarks...it was even worse when I got closer, but I'm still happy with this. For those of you wishing to see the whole bird (and I don't blame you!) stay tuned...:S3:

Ofer, I'm not usually a fan of B/W but I gotta admit that your repost is very, very nice...thanks for the rework!

Raul Padilla
10-23-2011, 08:42 PM
wow, is amazing stay too close of this specie, are you using a blind?

Karl Egressy
10-24-2011, 04:09 AM
Interesting image, Daniel. I hope you did not get too close. :bg3:
These birds are very sensitive to predation if spooked.
The way they protect themselves is hinding and remaining motionless if approached.
I'm pretty sure you know all of this and are careful.:S3:

MohsenVahedipour
10-24-2011, 04:26 AM
Like the idea beyond this scene & congrats for this amazing reach.

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-24-2011, 05:43 PM
quite amazing. talk abt being close. good u had the macro with you. you never know what you will need, huh? I am visualizing a picture of you taking the picture of this and the owl staring down at you :-)

liked the BW idea.