PDA

View Full Version : Sandpiper #1: Semipalmated

Bill Dix
10-23-2011, 10:34 AM
As a novice birder, all the peeps looked alike to me; I never thought I'd be able to distinguish them. Some years later, I'm still challenged, but beginning to sort them out. In the past month I've gotten good looks at seven Sandpiper species, five within camera range. This ubiquitous Semipalmated was from Bombay Hook NWR two weeks ago on a cloudy day. C&C appreciated. I'll post a few other sp. in the coming days.

D7000 | 500f4 + 1.4 | ISO 800 | 1/640s @ f/7.1 | + 1.7 EV | tripod

Marina Scarr
10-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Very nice portrait of this specimen Sandpiper, Bill. Good exposure and nice details. The rock works well and the monochromatic look works well.

tiziano cei
10-23-2011, 12:46 PM
really a nice immage bill, good job :w3

Daniel Cadieux
10-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Very nice profile image of this molting individual, and I love that one longer feather pointing down. The "tippy toes" pose allows a great view of the semipalmated feet.

Rene Quenneville
10-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Beautiful picture Bill! I like the details, exposure and overall mood. FYI, looking at the rock, the point of focus seems to be a little forward, maybe the lense/camera combo neeeds to be calibrated.

Mike Milicia
10-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Nice one, Bill! Great perch, excellent exposure and detail, and nice to see the webbing on the feet!

arash_hazeghi
10-24-2011, 02:53 AM
very nice. like the HA and perch

Bill Dix
10-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Beautiful picture Bill! I like the details, exposure and overall mood. FYI, looking at the rock, the point of focus seems to be a little forward, maybe the lense/camera combo neeeds to be calibrated.

Thank you Rene. I suspect that I do need to calibrate the lens/camera. I've wondered if it were a bit off. But in this case, it seems to me that the focus point was probably on the bird's flank, which is probably in about the same plane as the in-focus portion of the rock (that is to say, user error rather than camera/lens error, since it should have been on the head). However, Nikon's View NX2, if it is to be believed, shows the focus point just below the eye, so maybe the focus point is a bit forward as you say. Thanks for the tip.

Bill Dix
10-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Thank you all for looking. I appreciate the comments.

Jim Crosswell
10-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Nice image Bill! I like the pose, HA and composition.