PDA

View Full Version : Corn Sheaves

John Storjohann
10-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Shot this morning with the 24-105 @ 60mm, f/11@1/60. RAW image processed in LR; brought the image into PS and added a bit of Topaz->Adjust, Topaz->Clean, NIK's Tonal Contrast, and then Topaz->Simplify->BuzzSim, all on different layers, varying the opacity on each layer to get the effect I wanted. Trying to get a sense of fall in a year where the color has been somewhat abysmal due to dry conditions. :e3

Julie Kenward
10-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Ha! I took one look at this and thought, "I bet he used Nik's tonal contrast filter!" Is it not the bomb? The colors you pulled up here are awesome and really stretch the mind from what we're used to seeing. I do find the top half of the image to be slightly darker than the bottom half - you might try to even that out a bit or add a darker vignette to the bottom to leave the center area lighter than the rest. As is, it feels a little bit "top heavy"...but still an awesome abstract.

denise ippolito
10-22-2011, 07:39 PM
John, Very nice pattern and color tones. I see what Jules is saying about the top. If it were mine I would tighten up the crop with a slice off the top and left- BUT that is just what my mind sees and yours may see something different. :S3:

John Storjohann
10-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Julie, you're right...it DID need a bit of evening out...does this one look a bit better? Lightened the top corners, darkened the bottom....thanks for the suggestion! And you're right...I LOVE NIK's Tonal Contrast! Great filter!

John Storjohann
10-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Hi Denise; thanks for sharing your comments. I actually played with a crop from the top and left...but didn't want to lose the little bit of tassel that is in the upper center left....I like what it adds to the image....I may go back and take another look at it. An image of yours actually inspired this one...can you recall the one I'm thinking of? :w3

denise ippolito
10-22-2011, 08:12 PM
John, I remember the image. I attached a repost with my crop suggestion and some added punch.:S3: Again, my thoughts they may not be yours. PS- I could back off the contrast a bit.

John Storjohann
10-22-2011, 10:26 PM
First, color me red...corn SHEAVES not sheaths...geesh...sorry about that!

Denise, I prefer the original crop...but like the grunge processing, though perhaps not as strongly as applied here. I'll have to play with it a bit. Thanks again for the suggestions and the time you took for the post, deeply appreciated. Even when I go in another direction from a suggestion, I learn something!

Dennis Bishop
10-22-2011, 11:23 PM
When I first looked at the image, the top didn't bother me. I was happy to see autumn colors brought out in corn stalks. However, it does seem that it's a bit top heavy, and it looked to me like that could be because of the yellow, there, more than anything else. So, I decided to play with it, a bit. First, I put a really high-density deep yellow photo filter adjustment layer on. Then, I masked it off the top with a gradient that went to somewhere around half way down. To try getting the colors back close to John's, I toned things down with a hue/saturation layer.

denise ippolito
10-23-2011, 07:22 AM
First, color me red...corn SHEAVES not sheaths...geesh...sorry about that!

Denise, I prefer the original crop...but like the grunge processing, though perhaps not as strongly as applied here. I'll have to play with it a bit. Thanks again for the suggestions and the time you took for the post, deeply appreciated. Even when I go in another direction from a suggestion, I learn something!

John, I think that this image is a great example of how something as simple as corn sheaves can create a lovely intricate abstract open to many interpretations.:S3:

Cheryl Slechta
10-23-2011, 05:33 PM
John, I like Pane #4 the best and think you could do a slight crop from the top leaving in the bigger tassel and cropping out the smaller, less defined tassel for a little bit of a pano. Nicely done:S3:

Andrew McLachlan
10-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Hi John, the nice thing with crappy fall colors is that it makes you look a little harder to find that special autumn image. You accomplished that nicely with this one. While I have a preference for Denise's crop I do like the original post also. Tonal Contrast rocks. Nice work!

Bob Miller
10-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Hi John! I prefer pane #4 myself. very nice abstract!!

John Storjohann
10-24-2011, 06:38 AM
Dennis, Denise, Cheryl, Andrew and Bob...thank you for the time and the suggestions! I'm going to play some more with the crop and the filtering...and I finally notice the Thank You for the Post button...lol....I had seen the "Thank You Posts" icon and thought...what is that? Was that there before? Take me out from behind a camera and I miss the details! :t3