PDA

View Full Version : More Wave Textures

Michael Pancier
04-04-2008, 05:51 AM
So many photo opportunities at the Wave and so little time especially with the shorter winter days.

I'm torn whether to crop from the left or leave it as is. With this image, I wanted to literally throw you into the wave textures bu shooting this at 20mm and close to the wave wall. I think I would have preferred to be at least 10 feet about the ground here but no anti gravity tripod available.

My other idea is to crop it in tighter and eliminate the sky as well.

I welcome your suggestions.

5d+17-40L
20mm
polarizer
f/18
1/50
ISO 200

Robert Amoruso
04-04-2008, 07:12 AM
Michael,

I have been giving this some thought about your cropping questions. I like the original that you present here. I tried cropping from the left and did not like that as the wave pattern on the left then appears to end to abruptly.

I then did a crop like you suggested w/o sky. Did a few and ended up liking the one here best. What I noticed when I did this was the convergence of the bright line from the front wave leading into the bright lines of the back wave. I only wish it was closer to a power point (RoT). Cropping that as such makes the crop to big IMO.

You correct that there is an infinite amount of compositions here. Good work.

Roman Kurywczak
04-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Hi Michael,
I played with a few crops also. I listened/agreed with Robert's suggestion on Rule Of Thirds placement.........so I went for the right side to kind of take the whole thing visually off center. Tiny bit off top too....
Still not sure I like the crop better than the original........but let me know what you think,
Roman

Grady Weed
04-04-2008, 09:33 AM
I like Roberts image version a lot. The sky is distracting to me here. Your waves are a great pice of eye candy. Colors, angles, the paterns! Perhaps some deeper saturation maybe? Worth the effort to work it some more. Please re-post your final image for us. I would give most anything to go there and get some images of this one. Thanks for the uplifting image. I needed it today!

Alfred Forns
04-04-2008, 09:37 AM
I like both re posts Robert's makes it a totally different image altogether and one that would have been outstanding in camera !!!

Downloaded the image and tried different crops Not happy with any of them I think the original posted seems to work best Its a scene that can look good form any angle with tons of possibilities Mike you need to take your 500 next time to isolate !!!!!!!!!