Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS @ 400mm
Av mode
1/2000"
F5.6
ISO 400
HH
CS5

I was heading to one of the ponds to try and get some fall color reflection shots when I noticed the nicely backlit grass seed heads so I grabbed a few shots. It was very windy
which is why I went to ISO 400.

Cropped, contrast, NR on the BG, high pass and selective sharpening. Toned down the tip of the seed head and added a light vignette.

Julie Kenward
10-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Very nicely done! I think many people tend to overexpose these and you've done a great job of capturing the textures and colors while not blowing the backlighting. Me? I would have put the stem at the bottom next to the corner instead of AT the corner but to each his own... :w3

Rene Quenneville
10-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Superb backlighting with a very pleasing background. I would also try a different crop, maybe a little tighter.

Steve Maxson
10-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Hi Ken. Very nice job under less than idea conditions! The seed head and stem have a nice glow against the darker background and you used the perfect camera settings to stop the wind motion and give you a soft background. For my taste, I think I would move the stem away from the corner just a little, but that is subjective and folks have different views about that. :S3: This is very well done!

Brendan Dozier
10-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Nice clean & simple comp, Ken, and love the backlighting and great autumn BG colors. Nice work!

Ken Childs
10-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks to all of you for the nice comments! :S3:

Normally I wouldn't want the stem coming out of a corner but this is a great place to try something different and hear what others think about it.

Allen Sparks
10-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Hi Ken, very well done. Love the light catching the seed head and the texture. Pleasing BG too. For my taste I would move the stem away from the corner but I know you wanted to generate opinions on this.

Anita Bower
10-31-2011, 01:41 PM
These seedheads are everywhere up here and such fun to see and photograph. Nicely done. Lovely, even bg.