PDA

View Full Version : MACRO Lens Question

Ed Vatza
04-04-2008, 05:00 AM
I came oh so close to pulling the trigger on the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro and then pulled up. Here's the rundown and my question.

Macro gear - Canon 30D and Rebel XT bodies; 580EX II and 430EX flashes; Sigma 70mm f/2.8 macro lens; Kenko tubes; Canon 500D close-up filter for use with a 70-200 f/2.8L IS.

Addressable problem - I love the Sigma 70 but feel I need a dedicated macro lens with more working distance. I had settled on the Sigma 150 which seems to get superb reviews across the board (but then all macro lenses seem to).

Question - If it is possible to suffer buyers remorse before buying, I have. Gnawing in the back of my mind is the question - should I go with the Sigma 150 of should I bite the bullet and buy the Canon 180L? If I go by the reviews, it would seem a no-brainer. The two seem to be "equal" on almost all measures and the Sigma is half the price. But are they? So again, my question - Go with the Sigma 150? The Canon 180L? Or should I consider the Sigma 180 at a price point between the two?

You input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Robert O'Toole
04-04-2008, 07:51 AM
The C 180 offers great quality but the lens has 2 big drawbacks for me. Since I handhold with flash 90% of the time with Macro, the C 180 is not attractive. Second the image quality is good but nothing special or superior in anyway to the independant lenses. In fact in most lens tests I have read it is actually near the botton of the pack in IQ. then of course the premium price tag.
Go with the Sigma 150.

Robert

Paul Burgess
04-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Go with the Sigma 150.

I'm looking at getting one of them, so I'm wondering...Why would you go with the Sigma 150 over the Sigma 180? Is the 150 much sharper?

Robert O'Toole
04-04-2008, 08:05 AM
forgot the mention that the Sigma rear element is not recessed so you cannot use a Canon extender or Nikon TC, you have to use a Sigma TC.

I always recommend that you take your SLR down to the local shop and try both lenses inside or better yet outside. But if that isnt possible here is some test info from Photozone.

An important note, both lenses below were second replacement sample tests, the first sample results were worse!!!

Robert

All from www.Photozone . de

"Verdict
The Canon EF 180mm f/3.5 USM L macro is an interesting lens with a very good optical performance and exceptional mechanical qualities. Nonetheless the lens wasn't really able to fulfill the high expectations associated with a Canon L grade lens - there're even some zoom lenses performing better in terms of resolution. Beyond the resolution aspect the lens showed pretty perfect performance figures - minimal vignetting, next to non-existent distortions and marginal chromatic aberration. The bokeh, the quality of the out-of-focus blur is relatively decent although not stellar. The AF performance of the lens is a bit of a mixed bag. If the in-focus point is in a relatively close proximity to the current setting the AF is fast. However, if the camera has no guidance where to go the AF is extremely slow. That said AF speed isn't really relevant for pure macro photography where you tend to use manual focusing anyway. "
Link (http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Canon%20EOS%20Lens%20Tests/45-canon-eos-aps-c/169-canon-ef-180mm-f35-l-usm-macro-labtest-report--review)

Sigma AF 150mm f/2.8 APO EX
"Verdict
The performance figures are excellent and leave really nothing to be desired across all tested quality characteristics. The mechanical build quality is very good thanks to a metal body and a true IF (internal focusing) design with a constant physical length. The AF speed is about average in absolute terms but pretty good for a macro lens. Thanks to Sigma's HSM (Hypersonic-Motor> the AF operates virtually silent. The lens is compatible to Sigma's APO EX DG converter so there´s also an option for some extra reach or increased working distance if needed. The price tag of the lens is moderate at around 550-600 €/US$. "
Link (http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Canon%20EOS%20Lens%20Tests/45-canon-eos-aps-c/303-sigma-af-150mm-f28-apo-ex-dg-hsm-macro-test-report--review)

Alfred Forns
04-04-2008, 08:25 AM
I have to agree with Robert Would go for the Sigma I have seen some selling the Canon 180 to get the Sigma Lighter and sharper.

Walt Anderson
04-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Ed,
I currently use the 180 on my 1Ds and the Sigma 150 on a Nikon D300. Looking at the pictures, not test charts, I would rank the lenses very close to one another. If I were buying for a crop sensor camera I would buy the Sigma today and use some of the savings for the Sigma 1.4 converter. Good luck.

Walt Anderson
Visual Echoes Inc.

Sandra Corless
04-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Can anyone comment on the quality of the Sigma 1.4 converter used with the Sigma 150?

Thanks

Alfred Forns
04-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Excellent !!! Mine is practically glued to the lens !!!! I am very happy with it !!!

Ed Vatza
04-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks folks! I dropped by from the office at lunch time and read your comments. After doing so, I called B&H and ordered the Sigma 150 along with some other stuff.

I do have another question though. What type of flash are you using? I have been using the 430 EX with soft box quite a bit. Are you using a "traditional" flash or are you using a ring light or dual macro flash? I am thinking about the ring light or possibly the dual macro but want to work with the 430 and 580 first.

Ed Vatza
04-04-2008, 06:34 PM
By the way, does anyone know if the Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC will work with the Sigma 150mm or do I have to get the Sigma 1.4x TC?

Scott A. Flaherty
04-19-2008, 08:35 PM
My recommendation would be for the Sigma 180 + 1.4 teleconverter.