PDA

View Full Version : Sun Dappled Forest HDR

Andrew McLachlan
10-20-2011, 06:01 PM
During my fall color excursions this year I went to Hardy Lake Provincial Park near the town of Gravenhurst, Ontario. There wasn't much color change here yet, but I decided to walk one of the trails anyway to see what I could find. There are many large glacial erratics scattered throughout the forest in this park, left behind when the glaciers retreated long, long ago. I found this one and kinda liked the way it looked in the sun dappled forest, so I shot a 5 frame HDR and processed the files in Oloneo PhotoEngine and then applied my 'waterfall setting' preset that I saved in Topaz B&W Effects to a background copy and reduced the opacity to 75%.

Look forward to comments.

Paul Lagasi
10-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Hey Andrew, nicely composed image, as usual rockin effects...snow is comin...:e3

Kerry Perkins
10-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Andrew, my brain keeps trying to make some sort of animal out of that rock... :c3: What I like about this image is the detail and the colors!

Back home in Indiana we had glacial erratics and also glacial pine trees, whose seeds had been dropped by melting glaciers.

Cheryl Slechta
10-21-2011, 05:50 AM
Andrew, this has a primeval feel to it for me. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the erratic because I've never seen one in person.:S3:

denise ippolito
10-21-2011, 07:04 AM
Andrew, Very nice details. I like the trees in the background and the way you composed it. The pine needles look cool.:S3:

John Storjohann
10-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Hi Andrew;

Strong composition...really like the placement of the white birch (aspen?) among the pines...the pattern of the needles...the myriad of textures...there's just so much for the eye to feast on! I did find myself wishing for a bit more color and warmth...and that's just a matter of taste and intent...it must be amazing to see a glacial erratic in that setting! Thank you for sharing!

Andrew McLachlan
10-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks folks for the comments, much appreciated!

Indranil Sircar
10-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Hi Andrew, awesome HDR composition. Well seen and executed! TFS.

Andrew McLachlan
10-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks Indranil!