PDA

View Full Version : Rove Beetle - Studio Portrait

Steve Maxson
10-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Rove Beetles (Family Staphylinidae) typically are small, predatory, and have short wing covers. There are over 4,100 species in North America. My reference book describes them as "sleek and serpentine" - which fits this one very well. This beetle was photographed under a light tent consisting of translucent plastic. 7D, 100 mm macro, 1/250, f/16, ISO 100, MT24-EX macro twin lights positioned over the top of the light tent, tripod. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Jerry van Dijk
10-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Well done Steve! Your setup is very effective in creating these nice studio portraits. I may burn the reflections on the head and the thorax a bit, they tend to draw my eye a little too much. I would also apply a little CW rotation. A centered composition (along the horizontal) could also work well.

Brendan Dozier
10-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Very cool looking beetle, Steve, and nice job on the studio portrait. The up-turned segmented tail reminds me a little bit of a scorpion. Wish for head to be turned more towards us, but still very nicely done. Would it be possible for you to show us a shot of your studio set-up?

Julie Kenward
10-21-2011, 07:01 AM
I almost feel like I am looking at a sleek new car ad! Wow! Look at that lighting! I cannot get over the detail here...you nailed this one.

Ken Childs
10-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Another winner, Steve! This almost looks like a computer drawn model.
I'm fine with the comp as it is and those light areas are soft enough to not be a distraction. I wouldn't be me if I didn't suggest a little more sharpening and/or contrast on the back antenna. :bg3:

Have you even seen one of these tuck away their wings? It's pretty amazing to watch!

Paul Lagasi
10-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Wow..looks like something from Star Wars.....nothing wrong at all....sharp, just a beauty

Rene Quenneville
10-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Great shot! The lighting is fine to me. I like the "product photography" feel of this beetle. Unusual but well done. Congrats!

Jason Stander
10-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Outstanding work Steve!:w3

Steve Maxson
10-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks for your comments everyone!

Brendan: My lightbox is very simple to construct and use - I'll have to photograph it and include the photo in a future post. This image was actually taken under a light tent which I used briefly before I made the light box. I'm no longer using that method, though the results are similar.

Ken: Yes, I did get to see this beetle fold up its wings. It is quite interesting how it manages to carefully fold up the relatively large wings and fit them under the small elytra. :S3: