PDA

View Full Version : Theme - Mating Great Blue Herons

Roger Williams
10-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Here's an unconventional image for your review and critique. Yes, I know the bird's wing is cut off but, I've always liked the feeling of the bird literally landing into the frame. I've been reluctant to post this image for critique but look forward to your constructive comments whether you like it or hate it. I've removed some branches poking into the frame and removed a shadow on the left bird's bill caused by the bill of the approaching bird. These birds were part of a very large rookery along the Mississippi River just upstream from downtown Minneapolis. The birds have roosted here for many years, however, this past summer, a tornado moved up the river and devastated the rookery, killing many adults and chicks. We're hopeful that the surviving adults will return next spring to find suitable nesting habitat.

Canon 7D, Canon 500mm f/4L IS + 1.4x, ISO 320, 1/1600 @ f/7.1, Gitzo GT3530LS with Mongoose M-35A

Stu Bowie
10-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Roger, the heron in the tree is nicely framed between the upright twigs. With regards to the incoming heron, it doesnt really work, as the cut off wing spoils the incoming pose. We all love to see wingspreads with oodles of feather detail, and when we cut off wings, tails, limbs, the image just doesnt have the oomph to have a wow factor. You had a fixed lens, so maybe next time move back and experiment with distance to capture all the action. A touch of NR on the BG wont harm this either. :w3

Roger Williams
10-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks for taking the time to view and comment on this image, Stuart. I was looking for an honest evaluation of an unconventional capture and appreciate your view.

Doug Brown
10-22-2011, 02:16 PM
As Stuart points out, giving yourself a little extra working room would have paid dividends for you. Next time, put the 1.4x in your pocket. :w3

Roger Williams
10-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks, Doug. I believe I put it in my pocket when I viewed the posted image on the camera monitor and realized I'd clipped the wing.