PDA

View Full Version : Son of B2

Ken Watkins
10-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Here is one of B2's latest male offspring, unless he has been busy during the monsoon, he is apparently only 18 monts at the time this was taken, he will probably be a big boy when he groes up and has clearly inherited his fathers looks.

Taken in Bandhavgargh, India, 25t April 2011

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 IS hand held from open game viewing vehicle

F5.6, ISO 800, 1/400

dankearl
10-20-2011, 12:47 AM
Very intimidating look to this Ken.
The light looks a bit harsh, but the colors are very pleasing.
It sort of looks in attack mode, glad you were in a vehicle!

Morkel Erasmus
10-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Light was a tad harsh but I would take any tiger photo in any light. The angle towards the subject is great...were you in a ditch?

I played around with the image:
multiplied highlights layer (40% opacity)
desat yellows -10
saturate red +10
cooling filter (strength - 4)
some midtone and shadow dodging on the face

WDYT?

Pieter de Waal
10-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Love to see one of these in the wild. Great eye contact and walking action captured Ken.

Sid Garige
10-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Classic pose Ken. great eye contact and details.

Jamie Douglas
10-20-2011, 10:28 PM
I love the expression with the jaw hanging open.

Ken Watkins
10-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks everone for your kind comments, much appreciated.

If I remember correctly (it was a long time ago in terms of safari days), the light was behind to the right of image .

Morkel,
Thanks for the repost, that all sounds much too complicated to me, I like to stick to relatively simple processing.

We were in a Gypsy which are really small and fairly low to the ground and I got as low as I could possibly kneeling

Harshad Barve
10-23-2011, 10:19 PM
Classic pose Ken. great eye contact and details.

Plus one here
TFS

unless he has been busy during the monsoon, he is apparently only 18 monts at the time this was taken, he will probably be a big boy when he groes up and has clearly inherited his fathers looks.

Unfortunately both brothers turn out into Man-Eaters and sent to zoo :(

Ken Watkins
10-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Unfortunately both brothers turn out into Man-Eaters and sent to zoo :(

What awful news, surely it woud be far better to send the villagers and their cattle away. Too many people as always

Harshad Barve
10-24-2011, 01:03 AM
What awful news, surely it would be far better to send the villagers and their cattle away. Too many people as always

Its a awful news for sure , BTW same situation in Amboseli also , thousands of cattle enters park and most of wild animals are outside the park , I guess we need to give space to all animals across globe

Ken Watkins
10-24-2011, 01:10 AM
I guess we need to give space to all animals across globe

You now that I feel that overpopulation is the major cause of wildlife difficulties, but it is far easier to blame poaching, hunting and of course the Chinese.

Morkel Erasmus
10-24-2011, 01:43 AM
Sad to hear the fate of these tigers...

You now that I feel that overpopulation is the major cause of wildlife difficulties, but it is far easier to blame poaching, hunting and of course the Chinese.

Though I can see your point, Ken, you would be hard-pressed to blame 'overpopulation' for the decimation of Southern Africa's rhinos the past 3 years :eek3: (now where's the "Vietnam" smiley icon?? :w3). IMHO "overpopulation" is very much contextual. Certain countries are overpopulated while there are vast stretches of sparsely populated land all over the world. As one funny commentator once said: "If it's too crowded where you are, move to Wyoming :bg3:).

If you want to discuss conservation issues, I suggest starting a thread in the discussion forums. :tinysmile_shy_t:

Ken Watkins
10-24-2011, 02:04 AM
Morkel,

I find it very strange, that I am not allowed to comment on Harshad's comments without being criticised, I am sure that I recall others making there own views felt about "endangered" animals in other threads, without criticism.

In fact you have chosen to provide your own position on this "problem", with which I obviously disagree.

I would have preferred it if you had answered my question on your recent Lion cub posting:S3:

Morkel Erasmus
10-24-2011, 02:22 AM
I find it very strange, that I am not allowed to comment on Harshad's comments without being criticised, I am sure that I recall others making there own views felt about "endangered" animals in other threads, without criticism. In fact you have chosen to provide your own position on this "problem", with which I obviously disagree.

I generally agree with Harshad's view (and yours, it seems) that we "need to give the animals some space", though it's mostly a solution which is hard to implement, particularly in rural areas. :e3

IMHO, I did not criticise you. Seeing that I differ from your opinion (in a way - no deying that overpopulation "of certain areas" is a problem for conservation), I offered a slightly humourous (IMHO) response to your statement, and suggested we take the discussion to the forum where it was best suited - the discussion forums as opposed to the image critique forums. :t3

I would have preferred it if you had answered my question on your recent Lion cub posting

I will get to that...just a bit busy :bg3:

Ken Watkins
10-24-2011, 02:30 AM
I will get to that...just a bit busy :bg3:

Thanks for that, look forward to it

Harshad Barve
10-24-2011, 03:22 AM
of course the Chinese.

I have to disagree here Ken , In recent time some Chinese people were building highway near Samburu NP and animal parts were found in their building material truck :eek3:

Certain countries are overpopulated

I think over population is wrongly used word , 31169272 people live in Assam and is biggest example of conservation. If you wish you can do conservation. what I mean by SPACE is not number of sq-km but just to stay away from wild life and give them privacy. Maharashtra is second most populated state of India with population of 11,23,72,972 (9.29% of India) but holds huge numbers of tigers. FYI Nagpur ( In Maharashtra ) is Tiger capital of India and again example of willingness to save

I generally agree with Harshad's view (and yours, it seems)

Thanks Morkelbhai

we "need to give the animals some space", though it's mostly a solution which is hard to implement, particularly in rural areas. :e3

Now you are talking bhai ,

Where in the world wild life is , specially big cats ???, Not in developed world but it is in developing countries. Country like India can afford to put some handsome money but not many other countries where there is amazing wildlife as they have to put their money in their other developments . India has 102 ( Appox ) National Parks and 441 Animal sanctuaries and every patch of Jungle is reserve forest which has some rural population around them. Trans-locating these villages is not easy money wise as well emotions wise.

If we want our natural world to remain beautiful , we will have to save each and every species and we as humans will have learn and share this beautiful planet. By loosing some species we may not end this planet but then this planet earth will not be same again.

As legendary Billy Arjan Singh says for India

The air we breathe and the water we drink stem from the biodiversity of the universal environment and its economics.
The tiger is at the center of this truth. If it goes, we go !!

IMHO , I guess this is time to contribute rather than just discussing

Morkel Erasmus
10-24-2011, 03:41 AM
Thanks for your thoughts and clarification, Harshadbhai...:S3:

IMHO , I guess this is time to contribute rather than just discussing

Now that is a statement I agree with...the big question then is "where" do we contribute? In other words, which organisations or actions will do the most effective work with whatever is given to them? :bg3:

As I said to Ken, if there's more to discuss and/or debate, let's take this to the discussion forum as it will be lost on this thread for some who will want to contribute, and those forums serve the function of this discussion...:e3

Ken Watkins
10-24-2011, 04:20 AM
I/we seem to have hijacked my thread.

Who wants to kick off a debate on conservation issues, it would be best if it were not me as I have views with which most peploe wiill disagree vehemently.

Robert Amoruso
10-24-2011, 09:44 AM
I/we seem to have hijacked my thread.

Who wants to kick off a debate on conservation issues, it would be best if it were not me as I have views with which most peploe wiill disagree vehemently.

Ken,

In pane 13 you chastise Morkel for asking that you bring the conservation discussion to another thread outside the critique forum. However above you admit that the thread is now hijacked. That is EXACTLY what Morkel as a moderator of this forum was trying to avoid.

I don't see a problem with his request in this instance and from the above I see you now realize he was correct to make that request.

To all,

All further comment on this thread needs to be related to the critique of the image. Thank you.

Ken Watkins
10-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Robert,

If I may have one final comment on this, my "discussion" with Harshad should probably have been dealt with by PM or e-mail, if Morkel is offended by comment then I would ask him to PM me to explain further.

Santosh Tigga Saligram
01-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Nice one, Ken; I love the head-on perspective. I beg to correct you, though, that this is the female cub from the Mirchahni female's second litter and not one of the males.

Ken Watkins
01-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Santosh,

Thanks for your info, I may have been misinformed as to the sex of this animal, but I thought as it was walking with another Tiger it may have been one of the two male offspring.