PDA

View Full Version : B/W wildlife image scoops top BBC Veolia award

Steve Kaluski
10-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Being a Mod has it's pluses and this is one of them.

Keeping this announcement quiet, or not divulging to anyone the news over the past few months has been extremely difficult, however, this gives me great pleasure and I am very delighted to announce, that Peter Delaney, a well known and respect BPN member has won the prestigious B/W category in this years Veolia Environnement Wildlife Photographer of the Year for his 'Big Foot' image.

I am sure, like the rest of us here on the Mod section, you would like to congratulate Peter on his well deserved success in one of the most challenging and best known Wildlife photographic competitions worldwide.

This is one small step for an elephant, one giant leap for Peter.

Once again, BIG congratulation Peter.

Great night, huge fun, hope you, Wim & Ben all got back safely, see you tomorrow.

cheers
Steve

Doug Brown
10-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Fantastic news Peter! Congratulations! I hope you were able to attend the awards ceremony; it's like the Academy Awards for nature and wildlife photographers!

Grace Scalzo
10-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Peter, Congrats on this incredible image and award. So well deserved.

Steve Canuel
10-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Congrats Peter :cheers:

Marina Scarr
10-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Peter, I've been admiring your work on BPN and what a pleasure to see all your hard work is being rewarded and recognized. This image is really OOTB and I love it. Huge congrats!

Sid Garige
10-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Peter,

Just brilliant.

Congrats.

-Sid

Robert Amoruso
10-19-2011, 08:22 PM
I agree big congratulations Peter. Excellent image and well deserved.

Rachel Hollander
10-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Huge congrats Peter. Those of us who hang out in the wildlife forum already knew you were the b&w master, this just confirms it to the rest of the world. :cheers::cheers:

Brendan Dozier
10-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Congratulations, Peter! Wonderful B&W image and compostion with great visual impact. :cheers:

Ken Watkins
10-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Congratulations Peter

Roger Clark
10-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Peter,

Congratulations!!!! Wow. Very compelling image. I really like the phase angle:S3:.

Was this image posted on BPM for critiques? If so, what is the link? I am interested in seeing the comments.

Roger

Morkel Erasmus
10-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Huge congrats Peter!! :cheers: A big honour indeed...

Roger - here you go: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/85605-elephant-foot

Indranil Sircar
10-20-2011, 01:06 AM
Congratulations, Peter! A well deserved recognition.

Steve Kaluski
10-20-2011, 02:33 AM
These two links might also be of interest too.
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/whats-on/temporary-exhibitions/wpy/photo.do?photo=2753&category=49&group=1

Well done Artie
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/whats-on/temporary-exhibitions/wpy/photo.do?photo=2768&category=50&group=1

Not as slow as I thought I might be after last nights celebrations with Peter :bg3:

Hilary Hann
10-20-2011, 04:17 AM
Peter, I'm just so thrilled that an image like this was recognized and celebrated. I missed it on BPN but it is stunning. Seeing through another person's eyes is one of the beauties of these kinds of awards, in my view. Onwards and upwards. :cheers:

Marc Mol
10-20-2011, 05:16 AM
Huge congratulation Peter, well done! :cheers:

Sabyasachi Patra
10-20-2011, 06:03 AM
Congratulations Peter!

Well deserved. I always liked your images and knew that you will definitely be awarded in BBC one day. I am very happy.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

denise ippolito
10-20-2011, 06:37 AM
Awesome Peter! Congratulations and well deserved!

Andrew Aveley
10-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Congrats Peter , well deserved :):cheers:

Greg Basco
10-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Big congrats, Peter. That's an excellent image!

Cheers,
Greg

Roman Kurywczak
10-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Congrats Peter! Way to go!!! I knew I would see your name in the BBC!!! :cheers:

Stu Bowie
10-20-2011, 02:04 PM
What an honour - huge Congrats Peter.

arash_hazeghi
10-20-2011, 04:30 PM
congrats! awesome image

Don Lacy
10-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Wonderful image well deserved

Andrew Merwin
10-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Congratulations Peter. A truly superlative image.

Humberto Ramos
10-21-2011, 06:41 AM
Congratulations Peter, an outstanding picture with an amazing impact.

Nancy A Elwood
10-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Very big Congrats Steve!!!

peter delaney
10-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Would just like to say a big thank you to you all for all your best wishes and congatulations ,the last few days have been surreal . It's been nonstop... Have been fortunate to meet some amazing photographers, editors, and the judges of the competition.

To see your image displayed in the setting of the Natural History museum along side some of the worlds best photographers is an amazing feeling.

Thank you to Artie for the kind words in his blog... Very gracious of you.. And again congratulations to both you and Greg.

For those of you who like me ....who have always dreamed of having a successful image in this competition ,nerver give up ...... Work hard at your craft .....and be inspired from the wonderful photographers and learn from there advice that participate on BPN... As they have had a big influence on my work..
Thanks to STeve KAluski for all his help while I have been in the Uk.

Again thanks to everyone.....kk If I have forgotten to thank anybody , please forgive me...as I am so tired ..I could sleep standing up..lol

It really has been full on...

Look forward to posting images on my return in a week or so.....

Roger Clark
10-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Huge congrats Peter!! :cheers: A big honour indeed...

Roger - here you go: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/85605-elephant-foot

Morkel, thanks for posting the link. I missed that one. When I first saw the image above, I said to myself, I bet I can tell what BPN reviews would say (more space on the bottom). This image would have been great in Artie's "tight or wide" thread. Too bad I missed the original critique (I was probably traveling). I would have responded I liked it as is and it didn't need more space at the bottom (but then I like tight). Glad to see the Judges also didn't think more space was needed. Wonderful image.

I find it interesting to go through the other images selected in the competition and think how would I critique each image, and how would it fair on BPN?

Roger

Steve Kaluski
10-22-2011, 03:02 PM
It really has been full on...

That's putting in mildly Peter, you SA's know how to have a good time & party. Great four days at the WPOTY, a privilege to have met so many distinguished people and a great insight into how they work and shoot. I trust you will now get some quality time with your folks.

Here's the main man next to his winning image, apologies on not posting it sooner Peter, but it's the first night I have been home before midnight. :bg3:

Look forward to seeing you there next year, or perhaps before. :S3:
Steve

Hilary Hann
10-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Peter, it looks fabulous printed large next to you. Can't wait to see it on exhibition here although we are always a year or so behind.

Roger, I thought about your point also but we are many on BPN and we all move to a different drum I guess. Frustrating at times but not everyone aspires to this style of photography, and those of us who do just have to try harder and weather the storm!! In the meantime I'll soldier on trying to see with fresh eyes and appreciate the images of people like Peter, amongst others. :S3:

Morkel Erasmus
10-24-2011, 01:20 AM
Looking snazzy, Peter! :c3:

Harshad Barve
10-24-2011, 02:28 AM
Peter Congratulations!

Daniel Cadieux
10-24-2011, 05:21 AM
That is awesome Peter!! Congratulations...well deserved!:cheers:

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Peter, that is a great shot indeed. Congrats.

Vivaldo Damilano
12-08-2011, 03:51 AM
Fantastic STUFF Peter, well deseved and keep up the good work congrates.

Randy Stout
12-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Peter:

Hearty congratulations!

Cheers

Randy