Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Manual mode
1/800"
F13
ISO 200
Canon 430EX with extended bounce card: On, Fired
HH
CS5

Cropped, contrast, cloned out a few blemishes on the leaf, reshaped the odd looking catchlights, high pass and sective sharpening. I would have liked more DOF but it was windy and I needed the fast SS.

Brendan Dozier
10-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Awesome looking spider and comp, Ken! Love the eyes, detail of fuzz, low, slightly tilted angle, and little bit of dirt and texture on leaf is a nice touch. dof works fine for me. Well done! :cheers:

jack williamson
10-20-2011, 10:36 AM
I can imagine that this is the last thing many an insect has seen. Excellent shot, great sharpness.

Jack

Jerry van Dijk
10-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Well done Ken! Just for my reference: what is the size of this little guy? I often see great frame filling images like this. Most Dutch species of jumping spiders only fill a corner of the frame even at 1:1.
Btw, I can tell it was windy by his funky hairdo. DOF works fine for me, all the things that count are in focus.

Steve Maxson
10-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Hi Ken. A very appealing image with those big round eyes and all the hairs sticking up on her head! I like the diagonal comp and you did a good job with the catchlights - which are always a problem with jumping spiders. You also have good detail in the white/light bristles below the eyes, and elsewhere, - in my experience, they tend to blow out very easily with these spiders. As you note, a little more DOF would have been nice, but you have excellent sharpness in the the most important areas. This is very well done! :cheers:

Julie Kenward
10-21-2011, 07:03 AM
A bit more DOF for those front legs would have taken this over the top for me; as is, I love staring into those round beady eyes (and you all know how I feel about spiders so that's really saying something!) Very nice diagonal comp - I feel like I'm right at the edge of a leaf looking down into the spider's home.

RohanThakur
10-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Great shot ... and love the expression! It definitely looks startled!

Ken Childs
10-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments! :S3:

Jerry, this spider was about 1 cm in length.

Paul Lagasi
10-21-2011, 11:14 PM
Jabbah the Hut Spider, what can I say that hasn't been said....lovely, thanks for sharing

Jason Stander
10-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Awesome shot Ken... superb details... brilliant exposure... the dof is for me just right... so VVWD!:w3